• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#1 ryanlb

ryanlb

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 325 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 08:40 AM

Are there going to be any exclusive figures or anything at SDCC this year? My cousin goes every year, and will pick up a few things for me.

I was under the incorrect impression that the WoK figures were last year, but the NFC Reference says 2007, were there any exclusive figures last year?

#2 Matty-lad

Matty-lad

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 08:59 AM

QUOTE (ryanlb @ Jun 25 2009, 03:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Are there going to be any exclusive figures or anything at SDCC this year? My cousin goes every year, and will pick up a few things for me.

I was under the incorrect impression that the WoK figures were last year, but the NFC Reference says 2007, were there any exclusive figures last year?

Hey ryanlb,

No, there were no exclusive Star Trek items last year.

Take care,
Matty-lad

#3 Barney

Barney

Lives in the city on the edge of forever

• Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 09:18 AM

QUOTE (Matty-lad @ Jun 25 2009, 09:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No, there were no exclusive Star Trek items last year.

And I bet we won't see any new stuff this year too sad.gif

#4 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 25 June 2009 - 09:32 AM

I think they said in their latest Q&A that they only do SDCC when trying to launch a new series. TWOK obviosly falls into that category but obviously the MM figs do not so Im not quite sure what they meant by it.

#5 reverie

reverie

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,321 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 09:48 AM

Shoot- that's what I get for taking so long to answer.. lol! You beat me to the punch! wink.gif

For repeat purposes now:

I was under the impression that Chuck meant in the last Q&A that their convention exclusives are meant as a promotion (mainly for new lines), and seeing as how Trek is established, that they probably won't be planning any more convention exclusives? I could have misinterpreted him, but that's what I took from it.

#6 ryanlb

ryanlb

• Members
  • 325 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 10:02 AM

Well, okay, I guess. Thanks!

#7 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 25 June 2009 - 10:03 AM

Well that wouldnt fit with what they have previously done. I think he meant new "series" such as TWOK, TNG, etc. If they were to do some Voyager figures I think its a very real possibility to get an SDCC exclusive like maybe a ECH. I could also see them releasing a general wave of Janeway, The Doctor, and Seven and then releasing the rest of the crew through SDCC much like they did with TWOK. Thats all a pipedream but I think it would fit their model of what they would do.

#8 reverie

reverie

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,321 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 10:06 AM

How's this, here's the words right from Chucks' keyboard! wink.gif

"One of the main reasons for the comic con promotions or give away is PROMTION so we use it to kick off a line or a new part of a line, something like that. Like it or not for us Trek is at a point where it should be a more mature line, so we’d use those marketing dollars on something new to the marketplace like Ghostbusters."

I've got my convention exclusive GBs on preorder already. smile.gif

#9 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 10:10 AM

Well looking at a strict interpretation, only the Convention Yellow Kirk would fit that description and that wasnt even done by DST. TWOK somewhat fits the description and MM totally does NOT fit the description. Its also funny that their BSG SDCC/NYCC offerings dont fit that description either. Its just a way to get people to stop asking about it. I would rather them say "We dont want to do it" as opposed to making up some story that doesnt fit with what their practices have been in the past.

#10 knightone

knightone

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 12:50 PM

I think Chuck meant the SDCC exclusives are meant for lines that need promoting, not necessarily new lines. I think DST feels they have spent a lot of money promoting Trek as it is and to spend any more money promoting it would be wasteful and that they have other lines they would rather promote and would have the potential to catch on. They did promote Trek with exclusives for many years in a row, so the bulk of the audience attending SDCC should know all about it by now and promoting it to them woulld serve no real purpose. If they want to promote Trek, they need to to do it in a place and in a manner that reaches out further than those who attend SDCC. Say a TV commercial on Sci-Fi or G4.

#11 ryanlb

ryanlb

• Members
  • 325 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 01:59 PM

Ghostbusters? What kind of Ghostbusters stuff are they doing? I thought Mattel had the lisence for Ghostbusters figures. Coincidentally, they're launching the line at SDCC with Egon (I think).

#12 Jedigreedo

Jedigreedo

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 02:13 PM

Well so far DST has Ghostbusters minimates, banks and a replica of the first movie's Ecto-1 license plate. I'm hoping they take Ertl's 1:18 Ecto and give it the electronic treatment as they are doing with Sun Star's 1:18 BTTF DeLoreans.

#13 reverie

reverie

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,321 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 02:17 PM

Yeah, I'd *love* an Egon or two (if anyone's going *nudge nudge wink wink*), but you can find two exclusive Minimates around the web for SDCC right now.

#14 Jedigreedo

Jedigreedo

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 03:00 PM

The SDCC exclusive Egon will be available on Mattycollector's site, and fortunately they haven't mentioned there being any difference between the two.

As for DST, they really should offer an SDCC exclusive even if it's just a simple repaint. It's an occasion to draw in potential customers which they should take advantage of. Of course, normally I hate SDCC exclusives but their stuff always seems easy enough to get without going.

#15 Matty-lad

Matty-lad

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 05:07 PM

QUOTE (Jedigreedo @ Jun 25 2009, 10:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As for DST, they really should offer an SDCC exclusive even if it's just a simple repaint. It's an occasion to draw in potential customers which they should take advantage of. Of course, normally I hate SDCC exclusives but their stuff always seems easy enough to get without going.

Yeah, I know what you mean. How about a season 4 O'Brien using Sisko from the command chair set?

Take care,
Matty-lad

#16 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 07:37 PM

Well... I have a hard time believing that every company that provides a Convention exclusive is taking a wash on for promotional purposes! Heck, SDCC is typically an opportunity to bilk collectors for simple repaints or minor releases!

Mattel is making 5 different colors of the same Hal Jordan figure and only putting a different color up for sale ea day!

#17 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 07:44 PM

Not to mention the Hallmark ornament line....Im sure that one needs to be promoted in a dire way! I think most companies make quite a bit of cash on exclusives if you make the exclusive enough. I think the going rate now is like $25-30 for each figure. I know DST's stuff hasnt done well in the past but thats because either tehy produce too much (care about their collectors) or people arent interested. With all the junk I see being produced as exclusives I would go with #1.

#18 Jedigreedo

Jedigreedo

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 08:07 PM

Quick list of easy repaints/headswaps they could do for exclusives, with very little new pieces:

Sisko (TNG Uniform - Emissary) (this one could be a bit of a stretch though since the head hasn't been produced before)
Jadzia (TNG Uniform - Emissary)
Bashir (TNG Uniform - Emissary)
Worf (Red - Season 1)
Worf (Gold - Season 2)
Q (Season 1)
Q (DS9/Voyager)
Barclay (Voyager - Gray uniform)
McCoy (Regula 1)
Kirk (Captain - TUC)
Sulu (Captain - TUC)
McCoy (TMP - Gray suit)

#19 Artistix

Artistix

Trek Toy.com Member of the Month Feb 2010

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 09:17 PM

QUOTE (knightone @ Jun 26 2009, 04:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think Chuck meant the SDCC exclusives are meant for lines that need promoting, not necessarily new lines. I think DST feels they have spent a lot of money promoting Trek as it is and to spend any more money promoting it would be wasteful.

Hmmmmm.

Star Trek sales are poor....but that doesn't mean they need promoting?

There's some logic for you Spock.

#20 knightone

knightone

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 09:32 PM

QUOTE (Artistix @ Jun 25 2009, 10:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hmmmmm.

Star Trek sales are poor....but that doesn't mean they need promoting?

There's some logic for you Spock.

I think Chuck's logic is that they spent so much money already and it hasn't done anything to increase sales, so there is no reason to spend anymore. I agree, as far as the SDCC exclusives go, but I think there are other avenues that have yet to be explored.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users