• Please log in to reply
138 replies to this topic

#101 Morgan

Morgan

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 745 posts

Posted 16 October 2020 - 11:09 AM

Red Data on a Canadian card recently sold for $150.97 + $21.32 shipping after 1 bid. So this was essentially $200.00 CAD.

This is strong money, certainly, and this year there have been almost one of these on eBay per month. That's a lot, and they've been selling fast.

But this is also a lot of dough for one of these. If you watch the eBays for just a few months, it's possible to get one for half this price with a little patience.

But still, I wouldn't call this badly bought, even though I personally probably wouldn't pay over $100 for a Canadian one. If you want a Canadian Red Data, then you want a Canadian Red Data, so I understand the urge.

data-cad-oct2020.jpg

#102 Morgan

Morgan

• Members
  • 745 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 09:09 AM

Sisko mail-away figure recently sold for $110.50 + $4.60 shipping after 14 bids.

This is about the current rate for one of these at the moment, even slightly below perhaps. Bonus points to the seller for not gouging bidders on shipping.

Yet another mail away Sisko was up for auction the same week, but in a huge lot of 100 other loose figures. That lot went for $300.00, so someone was clearly just binging on this stuff with abandon. 

sisko-red.jpg

#103 Morgan

Morgan

• Members
  • 745 posts

Posted 09 November 2020 - 08:13 AM

Red Data on US card recently sold for $200.00 + $14.90 shipping after 1 bid.

This is a lot of dough, and a number of these have sold for amounts well over $150 lately. Not sure what this is about, given the fact that some could be bought for around $60 a couple of years ago, but perhaps it's people sitting at home and watching all the Star Trek shows.

This is a pricey way to buy one in 2020.

data-nov2020.jpg

#104 Morgan

Morgan

• Members
  • 745 posts

Posted 26 March 2021 - 02:28 PM

A German Bandai-boxed Ferengi figure recently sold for $37.61 + $6.99 shipping after 9 bids.

Obviously, the value here is the package, but this is about double of what these usually go for. And this was a lot of bids. Who needs a Bandai-boxed Ferengi for like $45 at the door in the year 2021?

$20 at the door has been the going rate for these for close to the past decade, because the demand for these is niche even among Trek collectors.

ferengi.jpg

#105 Morgan

Morgan

• Members
  • 745 posts

Posted 26 March 2021 - 02:33 PM

An even wilder result that the Ferengi above, this Bandai-boxed Riker sold for $59.99 + $6.99 shipping after 8 bids.

Somebody must have wanted a bunch of these real bad, and was prepared to pay any price. A lot of the figures from this seller sold for wild prices and after furious bidding, which certainly raises some questions. These are usually for sale out of Europe, so perhaps the shipping is a bargain, but still.

riker2.jpg

#106 MisterPL

MisterPL

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 27 March 2021 - 08:04 AM

Strange days. I've never seen that packaging before.

#107 Morgan

Morgan

• Members
  • 745 posts

Posted 28 March 2021 - 10:07 AM

They're all over the place on eBay UK & Germany, usually for not much over $10 each, but the shipping can be another $15-20 pretty easily. The only rare aspect of some of these sales was the fact that these were for sale out of the US, as opposed to Europe.

Still, the prices paid were obscenely high. Absolutely unwarranted given current values.

#108 Morgan

Morgan

• Members
  • 745 posts

Posted 04 July 2021 - 12:15 PM

A Tapestry Picard with foot number 000021 recently sold for $336.00 + $10.00 shipping after 7 bids.

This is the lowest-numbered one I've seen come up for sale, so the premium here may have been warranted if you're into low numbers. Personally, I'd pay a premium for a non-rare or mildly rare figure with a low number, but not when it comes to these ultra-rares. They're pricey enough.

The premium paid for the number here is perhaps as much as $100, because Tapestry Picards go for $250 at the bottom end, or even below that mark. On the other hand, they haven't been up for grabs in a while, so perhaps there was some bottled up demand for one too.

Well sold!

picard.jpg

#109 djc242

djc242

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 04 July 2021 - 09:28 PM

A Tapestry Picard with foot number 000021 recently sold for $336.00 + $10.00 shipping after 7 bids.

This is the lowest-numbered one I've seen come up for sale, so the premium here may have been warranted if you're into low numbers. Personally, I'd pay a premium for a non-rare or mildly rare figure with a low number, but not when it comes to these ultra-rares. They're pricey enough.

The premium paid for the number here is perhaps as much as $100, because Tapestry Picards go for $250 at the bottom end, or even below that mark. On the other hand, they haven't been up for grabs in a while, so perhaps there was some bottled up demand for one too.

Well sold!

picard.jpg

Ooh, good to know Morgan. I'm going to be selling mine soon.

#110 Morgan

Morgan

• Members
  • 745 posts

Posted 10 August 2021 - 12:23 PM

Loose Red Data recently sold for $51.00 + $5.00 shipping after 11 bids.

This sort of thing I hadn't seen for years, and no wonder it brought so much money -- these don't come up for auction very often.

The reason is very simple: Few people have these loose, and their number is finite, to the point of being far rarer now out in the wild than the packaged figures. In package, Red Data can bring anywhere from $50 to $150 over the past few years, with a slight premium on Canadian-carded variants. As this result shows, loose figures see greater demand from bidders if not a greater price outright. Thomas Rikers, on the other hand, pop up loose a couple times a year, and don't bring anywhere near this amount. I've bought them for less than $10.

After the mail-in Sisko, this is perhaps the next most highly-valued loose figure.

red-data-loose.jpg

#111 Morgan

Morgan

• Members
  • 745 posts

Posted 22 October 2021 - 04:30 PM

Red Data on Canadian card recently sold for $87.00 + $12.70 shipping after 8 bids.

This is pretty well bought, I have to say. These aren't on ebay like every day, with under five units appearing each year, so buyers are not spoiled for choice or condition.

Note that the condition is very average to meh: bent j-hook, yellowed blister, dog-eared corners, bent blister base. Card a little sun-blasted too.

I have a soft spot for yellowed blisters and faded cards, so if the buyer likes patina too, they got a bargain.

data-cad-10-21.jpg

#112 Morgan

Morgan

• Members
  • 745 posts

Posted 03 November 2021 - 04:48 PM

Sarek with pog recently sold for $234.82 + free shipping after 8 bids.

On one hand this is a lot of dough, but on the other hand this is the first one I've seen come up in about two years. So if there has been some bottled-up demand, which is understandable with so many trek series on the ol' cathode ray tube televisions, this is perhaps what happened here. 

These come up for auction so infrequently that there's really not a well-tracked rate for them. Over $100 is pretty much a given, but over $200 takes a lot of bidders wanting the same thing.

Also, the number of buyers willing to pay this much is probably not vast. You'd think that everyone who would spend this much would have already gotten one a long time ago, and for a lot less than was spent here.

sarek-10-2021.jpg

#113 Morgan

Morgan

• Members
  • 745 posts

Posted 12 November 2021 - 02:44 PM

Here's something far rarer than a lot of people realize: Canadian-market Ambassador Spock with pog. This is the second-rarest of the second wave Canadian figures on 1994 cards, after Beverly, and this one comes up for sale about once a year if you watch for it very intently.

This one sold for $76.00 plus free shipping after 10 bids. I paid around $100 for mine earlier this year, and that was my first one that I was even able to get, because, once again, these appear for sale like once a year on average. So this is the lowest price I've seen these go for in about five years.

If you think about it, there are far fewer of these than Projections Barclays or Yesterday's Yars, because those were stockpiled since they were new & sought out by scalpers. On the other hand, these batches of Canadian market figures were not really preserved all that much, which is it's so hard to find them now. Add to this the fact that Ambassador Spock had three paint variations to look out for. The production numbers of these on Canadian cards were pretty tiny compared to the US-carded figures, in the low thousands, and of course nobody noticed this at the time because action figure magazines never figured this out because they were US-based. All they were concerned with were Sarek and Troi with pogs, and that was it. 

How many of these are out there in the package? Likely not even over a hundred -- certainly fewer than Tapestry Picard, because most of those were all preserved, and there are one or two on eBay every week.

So, go find another, as they say.

spock-11-2021.jpg

#114 Morgan

Morgan

• Members
  • 745 posts

Posted 15 November 2021 - 06:02 PM

A Lore figure on 1994 Canadian card with pog recently sold for $23.00 + free shipping.

Out of the Canadian 1994 figures with pog this one is among the easier-to-find figures, along with Guinan, but supply can be quite spotty. Sometimes these don't come up for auction on eBay for like a whole year

I would call this well bought, as these aren't for sale like all the time.

lore-11-2021.jpg

#115 Morgan

Morgan

• Members
  • 745 posts

Posted 24 November 2021 - 08:40 PM

Esoqq on Canadian card recently sold for $50.00 + free shipping after 5 bids.

This was the highest result for this figure in at least a couple of years. They don't come up for auction all that often, but if you watch for them you can land one for about half this number or less after a few months. Which makes it all the more weird that it brought this much. But then again, there are a lot of Trek series on the air, and people are getting into these for the first time ever, and they have some cash to spend.

Back in the day Esoqq was certainly valued, at various points above $100, but US action figure stores did not really factor in the Canadian variant. You can get a US carded Esoqq for like $5 these days, but there are far fewer Canadian-carded ones out there, and they can take a few months to find for a bearable price.

Esoqq on Canadian card also happens to be one of my top ten faves.

This one gets bonus points for having a tilted blister pack -- always interesting to see some production variability.

esoqq-11-2021.jpg

#116 Morgan

Morgan

• Members
  • 745 posts

Posted 27 November 2021 - 10:54 AM

Blue Seven recently sold for $110.50 + $8.80 shipping after 21 bids.

Welp, this is a lot of dough, certainly, but then again with Seven being in the new Picard series, the options out there are kind of limited. Lots of bids here too -- don't usually see this sort of thing.

But, was this figure bought to be opened, or collected? Either way, these are now at times pricier than Projections Barclay or Red Data, just to put things into some perspective.

seven-11-2021.jpg

#117 Morgan

Morgan

• Members
  • 745 posts

Posted 27 November 2021 - 11:04 AM

Canadian Tom Riker recently sold for $27.56 + $6.00 shipping after two bids.

This was extremely well bought, I have to say, since these don't even appear on eBay every year. Some sellers want crazy money for them.

This is one of those figures that was just not really preserved back in the day because.... ::sigh:: American action figure magazines were generally dismissive of various Canadian figures, and just didn't even write about these card versions. By the time action figure forums appeared, these were gone from retail. Now, go and try to find one for decent money.

riker-11-2021.jpg

#118 Morgan

Morgan

• Members
  • 745 posts

Posted 03 December 2021 - 01:06 PM

Lieutenant Barclay on Canadian card with pog recently sold for $31.89 + free shipping after 2 bids.

This is kind of a lot, let's face it, especially for a figure that didn't have some major variation for Canada aside from the card and sticker. This Canadian-carded figure is perhaps worth less than like Lore with pog on this 7th season Canadian card, in my book. With free shipping, one could say this was sold for $20 with $10 shipping, but that's perhaps still a bit much.

Barclay is perhaps one of those figures that could have really benefitted from coming out on a 1995 card with a Skybox card. 

barclay-11-2021.jpg

#119 Morgan

Morgan

• Members
  • 745 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 05:58 PM

Here's something I'd never seen before: a loose Sarek with pog sold at auction for $78.18 ($100CAD) + $19.55 shipping after 1 bid.

That's a pretty valuable pog, I'd say, and it comes with the opened and somewhat wrecked blister pack too. The figure was removed after the card and blister were flooded or something.

There are not that many loose figures that can generate this kind of dough, and they tend to be pretty unique: Red Data and mail away Sisko are certainly two of the main ones. Low-numbered figures can sometimes bring some cash if they're like in the first 100 made. Here it's seemingly the pog that brought the money.

Just a few weeks ago we saw a loose Red Data come to auction, while a boxed Sarek with pog sold for $234.00 -- he's a few posts up. 

What could this be for: a display of some sort, or the creation of a unique card with blister?

sarek-11-2021.jpg

#120 Morgan

Morgan

• Members
  • 745 posts

Posted 26 January 2022 - 03:18 PM

Rom & Nog recently sold for $30.93 + $5.85 shipping after 13 bids.

These have been selling for well over $20 for some time, so this result isn't extraordinary, with this figure seeing increased demand for a couple of years now.

The two variations have to do with Nog: he's either in front of the pog or behind him. The variant with Nog in front could be slightly rarer, but not in a major way, not enough to really swing the price. But it does look slightly cooler than if he's hidden.

rom-1-2022.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: playmates, figure, value, auction, result

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users