• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#41 Artistix

Artistix

Trek Toy.com Member of the Month Feb 2010

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 05:08 PM

I ordered the Library Playset & the Book of Vengeance from Casefresh.com.au last week.

They are quite busy at the moment, but all should arrive before the end of this week.

The Library was $95AU on sale...reduced from $135AU.

The Book of Vengeance was reduced to $25AU from $50.

I'll have to check out all those BTVS threads about constructing the playset, I believe people said there are a few tricky aspects to it, such as the stair railings.

Really excited about both items. It will be great to have an all new figure in D'Hoffryn....plus some more Anya's (gotta love Anya!).

Did anyone here have the playset?

#42 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  • Interests:Stately playboy by day ... profitable pimp by night. I like to watch movies, listen to music, go out ... friends ... food ... all the essentials of life.

Posted 13 May 2007 - 06:39 PM

I bought the playset and remember it being very difficult to put together. Its well worth it once you get it together though! Watch the pieces on the back, make sure to line them up before you connect them. They aren't all square.

#43 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 14 May 2007 - 06:14 AM

The deluxe figures are exactly the same body mold. THey use the same articulation pattern as do the marvel legends. People love articulation now. I just think there needs to be some balance between articulation and the look of the figure. I think the Buffy line lends itself nicely to have more articulation for the action realted characters like buffy. Giles having multiple points of articulation doesnt really make much sense to me.

#44 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  • Interests:Stately playboy by day ... profitable pimp by night. I like to watch movies, listen to music, go out ... friends ... food ... all the essentials of life.

Posted 14 May 2007 - 07:39 AM

QUOTE(thehsbr @ May 14 2007, 07:14 AM) View Post
The deluxe figures are exactly the same body mold. THey use the same articulation pattern as do the marvel legends. People love articulation now. I just think there needs to be some balance between articulation and the look of the figure. I think the Buffy line lends itself nicely to have more articulation for the action realted characters like buffy. Giles having multiple points of articulation doesnt really make much sense to me.

I don't find the Marvel Legends figure articulation as intrusive as that on the Buffy figures. The Buffy figs look anorexic (which wasn't far from the truth for some of the real life actors) and the joints bulge out making them bulky and unappealing. I like a lot of the ML stuff, but I have not liked any of the Deluxe figures except the guys. It seemed to work a little better on them.

#45 Matty-lad

Matty-lad

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 03:29 PM

Hey all,

Even though I'm not a collector of the Buffy figures I have been following them. I was upset for the collectors when they announced the Dru, Oz and Wood wave would be the last. I remember reading somewhere that they said they had run out of characters to produce and then straight after that they announce the release of the Kennedy and Kendra figures. I don't see why they couldn't have released them as regular figures.

Don't get me wrong, I understand the added articulation, especially on these slayers but I don't see why Willow is getting the same treatment, exept for the fact that she was a popular main character.

Well that's my rambling finished.

Take care,
Matty-lad

#46 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 14 May 2007 - 05:19 PM

QUOTE(slayerone76 @ May 14 2007, 08:39 AM) View Post
I don't find the Marvel Legends figure articulation as intrusive as that on the Buffy figures. The Buffy figs look anorexic (which wasn't far from the truth for some of the real life actors) and the joints bulge out making them bulky and unappealing. I like a lot of the ML stuff, but I have not liked any of the Deluxe figures except the guys. It seemed to work a little better on them.

The ML female figures look just as bad if not worse. Its very difficult to get a certain level of articulation on the slender female form. Cases in point Scarlet Witch, Emma Frost. The Diamond Select Emma looks so much better because it has less artculation. The ML looks weird. Female figures have to lose some movement in order to fit in the same scale as the guys. Ive yet to see it done by any company where the female looks right with the same number of points of articulation.

#47 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 06:52 PM

Yes but the Wasp and Psylock turned out really well. So there is a middle ground when it comes to articulation and sculpt.

#48 Artistix

Artistix

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 07:46 PM

Phoenix & Storm also look very good. As does the new X-men series Rogue...though she is a bit spindley.

Received the Library playset today!!!
Which was a nice surprise as I only just received the e-mail confirmation that it had been sent this morning!

It took me a while to put together biggrin.gif

It really does look awesome when complete. Makes me sad that it sold so poorly.

The Book of Veneance is also a very nice set. Great to finally have D'Hoffryn & Anyanka. The Anya figure would have to be my fave Anya now...she is really cute.

#49 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 06:10 AM

QUOTE(JMW326 @ May 14 2007, 07:52 PM) View Post
Yes but the Wasp and Psylock turned out really well. So there is a middle ground when it comes to articulation and sculpt.

I think it really depends on how big/thick they make the figure. The Strom figure looked nice because of the costume. The Psylocke figure I was OK with but wasnt floored. I just think that female figures should have less articulation as a rule and then if the character dictates more it should be added. For instance I think Buffy should have more while it doesnt need to be there for Willow. I rememeber when "super articulation" was an action feature on a figure and not the norm. It can be a very difficult balancing act for any company.

#50 Chalksquared

Chalksquared

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 812 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, performing (on stage), drawing, and collecting anything (24th century) Trek.

Posted 15 May 2007 - 06:26 PM

One thing that has always bothered me about the ML line is if your turn Kitty Pryde sideways, her midsection disappears! It looks SO weird.
I think the Phoenix was one of the best figures they produced!!!

#51 Artistix

Artistix

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 04:30 AM

So do people here still like these new Buffy Revamped figures?

The only interest I can find in these is the diorama's included with the figures, which are pretty sweet.

This is not a case where I would say "Well, atleast the line is still going"...because I do not find this a continuation of the action figure line at all....but thats just me.

I don't think I would buy them even if the facial paint schemes were a step up from the action figures (which they do not seem to be).
And I doubt we'd see any new characters.

http://toynewsi.com/...68&itemid=11485

#52 JMW326

JMW326

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 07:58 AM

I am not interested in these at all. The dioramas are OK but I collect Action figures for the action figures. I don't care for my figures to be in one pose. In the picture above Buffy is in a very unflattering pose too. She actualy looks like she had a few to many beans and is about to rip a big one.
I just wish they would have kept on going with the regular line and the Deluxe line.

#53 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 10:04 AM

Ditto for me. I collect very few statue type figures and these will not be amongst them. I agree with you Sammy. If these had seen an improvement in quality over the standard lines, I might have considered them.

#54 Artistix

Artistix

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 04:26 PM

The deluxe line is still going ahead is it not?

When is that Willow/Kennedy/Kendra wave appearing?

#55 JMW326

JMW326

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 04:35 PM

I have not heard anything about it in quite a while. I thought they dropped it. Hopefully not though.

#56 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 05:46 AM

QUOTE(Artistix @ Jul 10 2007, 05:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The deluxe line is still going ahead is it not?

When is that Willow/Kennedy/Kendra wave appearing?

Oh you mean the anorexia nervosa line? wink.gif Its still coming out, but we haven't had an update in a looong time from the few remaining regular Buffy figures.

#57 Artistix

Artistix

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 03:58 PM

Speak of the Devil...

Michael Crawford has just posted a review of the Deluxe wave..they don't look too bad at all...thin, yes..but nice faces. VERY large eyes!!

http://www.mwctoys.c...IEW_071107a.htm

#58 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 04:16 PM

Ohhh, I really, really, like Kendra's likeness. I am still not a fan of the Mary-Kate design, but wow on her face!! I am hoping that Mr. Crawford received some early design figures for his reviews and some of the paint app issues are resolved before they hit the shelves. If not, DST has once again failed to listen to the customers and if I have one breakage I am gonna be ticked!

#59 Artistix

Artistix

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 07:30 PM

QUOTE(slayerone76 @ Jul 12 2007, 08:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If not, DST has once again failed to listen to the customers and if I have one breakage I am gonna be ticked!

Hmmm....

I guess the only option was to have them dripping with grease like TNG wave 3.
I gather they did not go with that option.

I hope they don't break....luckily, I have never had a DST figure break. Though I never bought any of the Xander/Cordy wave.

Kendra is awesome. Very nice. It is good to finally have someone in the line who is not caucassian.

Both Kennedy & Kendra look better with the jackets.

Kennedy is ok...nothing amazing. She kinda has a glimpse of the actress, but I only know from pictures I just looked at on google. The eyes & lips are right...but the eyebrows are too generic. Kennedy is apparently the most annoying character to come from Buffy...yet I don't even remember her! (but thats no surprise biggrin.gif !)

#60 LwaxanaLover

LwaxanaLover

Lives in the city on the edge of forever

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 04:00 AM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users