custom paint repainting

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 LadyHarkness

LadyHarkness

Toys before the light bill.

• Members
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:Everything sci-fi, writing, drawing, movies, reading, singing(badly I might add), running, RPG, LARP, cosplay, cons,gaming, music, and kidney thieving? And Farscape. How can I forget Farscape?

Posted 10 February 2014 - 12:19 PM

I have been into customizing playmates figures for a while now. A while back I painted a bunch of my old figures with some cheap paint that I picked up at a store. I don't remember the name of the brand. It obviously was not meant for hard plastic action figure, I realize that only recently while going through my figure collection. Is there any home remedy or product I can use to safely remove the cheap paint I cursed my figures with all those years ago without damaging the original factory paint and avoid discoloring the plastic? I would be so happy if anyone can offer advise. I want to repaint them the right way, but trying to remove the paint is time consuming. 

#2 WORF22

WORF22

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 11:24 AM

Ok let me see if I got this right. You painted over your P.M. with cheap paint and now you want to remove it? Right, right ok.

Question,

#1. why are you worried about the original paint job if you are going to repaint them?

#2. Are  you using a paint brush, air brush or can?

#3. Are you using primer if so what kind of primer are you using?

The primer can make or break a paint job.

#3 Atlanthia

Atlanthia

Lives in the city on the edge of forever

• Members
  • 171 posts
  • Interests:Model making, songwriting, DIY, general tinkering and not ever being able to just leave something the way it is!

Posted 11 February 2014 - 12:30 PM

If the paint is acrylic, I would advise you to pop them in hot water and after a few minutes, the paint will soften sufficiently that it can be removed with a cloth and a soft toothbrush, without causing damage to the figure. If, on the other hand you used oil based paints, you will need to look at using an industrial paint thinner (not paint stripper) to strip it but there is no guarantee that the original paint underneath won't also be affected. You say you would like to repaint them so I can't imagine that being to much of a problem. Just make sure you clean them thoroughly after stripping and rinse away all traces of thinners etc. I would suggest that once they have been thoroughly stripped of unwanted paint, that you rinse them in warm soapy water and then put them through the dish washer. Both of these techniques have worked well for me and are my preferred methods but you use them at your own risk, whatever that may be.

#4 LadyHarkness

LadyHarkness

Toys before the light bill.

• Members
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:Everything sci-fi, writing, drawing, movies, reading, singing(badly I might add), running, RPG, LARP, cosplay, cons,gaming, music, and kidney thieving? And Farscape. How can I forget Farscape?

Posted 18 February 2014 - 10:29 PM

Worf22, I guess what I am concerned about is  discoloring the plastic. I will probably be using a paint brush unless it is highly advised against. I will be using a primer when i do the repaint. I know for some of the figures I did use a primer but that was ages ago. I can't recall the brand. But if you have any tips or brand recommendations, I'm open for suggestions. I actually have not customized in years and now have my action figures out of the box they have been stuck in for the past 3 years (since I had nowhere to display them). I had most of them painted in the First Contact uniforms and as I look at them I really miss the TNG and DS9 uniforms. Nostalgia is a dangerous thing....

Atlanthia, I will try the methods you mentioned. Thank you for the tips and suggestions! 

Any brand recommendations for painting action figures? I've gone through the forums and have seen people mention several different brands that they use.I just want to get in right this time around. I do like to pose the figures so, I probably would go for a more durable one to withstand the ages.  :D  

LadyHarkness

#5 WORF22

WORF22

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 03:35 PM

I like to use

Rust-Oleum ultra cover 2x primer and for paint Createx airbrush paints. it's not cheap but a little goes a long way and you do not need an airbrush to use it. works well with a brush.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: custom, paint, repainting

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users