8 replies to this topic

#1 Redshirt#7

Redshirt#7

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 398 posts
  • Interests:Avoiding landing parties, surviving till the titles roll

Posted 10 March 2013 - 05:04 AM

Well, after getting a heap of doubles on eBay for customs, I've got a question to ask. Do you know how to weather an 4.5 inch 90s Playmates figure? I've got a S4 Sisko and he was going to be customized into his FC uniform (i.e. Season 7 Sisko) and when the figure came, he had a bit of play damage. Smashed up combadge, a few scrapes on his uniform, and a large gash across his head. My plan is still the same, but with a twist. He's now going to have a battle damaged S7 uniform, like AA's battle damaged Kirk. Back to my original question through, how would you add sand/dirt to him, like DST Kirk in the Gorn two pack? smile.gif

#2 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 10 March 2013 - 06:02 PM

They do it using a dry brush technique where you put a little paint on the brush them paint a few strkes onto a nearby piece of paper to remove the excess and then swipe the figure with the brush. If there is still too much on figure you can dab it with your finger. It will take practice to do it correctly.

#3 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 07:05 PM

you could also try a spray version over dry brushing, you'd have to prolly tape off parts of the figure you didn't want affected and just do light sprays of the color of weathering that you wanted. I've never used it on a figure but I have used both techniques on paper and dry brushing is great for blending with two wet paints, but i dunno how it would turn out on a plastic figure.

#4 hemble

hemble

Lives in the city on the edge of forever

• Members
  • 167 posts
  • Interests:military models, Star Trek, custom figures

Posted 15 March 2013 - 04:03 AM

You can also use chalk pastels to simulate dirt. There's two ways of doing it.

1. Use your brush and brush it back and forth over the chalk stick and then either dab or brush onto the area you want.

2. Get some sandpaper and lightly rub the chalk stick over it and then use the brush and again either dab or brush onto the area you want.

Ron

#5 Redshirt#7

Redshirt#7

• Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:08 AM

Thanks all for the reply, I can

#6 Daysleeper

Daysleeper

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 537 posts
  • Interests:Music, acting, theatre, film, arts in General

Check out my band: www.facebook.com/eastportslackers

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:43 AM

I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of your customs. smile.gif

#7 Redshirt#7

Redshirt#7

• Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 02:11 PM

QUOTE (Daysleeper @ Mar 17 2013, 04:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of your customs. smile.gif

Unfortunately, that might be along time as my camera was destroyed (let that be a lesson never to use cheap battery's), but thank you. Its be fun writing down my ideas, looking on the internet for inspiration and such. So many of the customs here are amazing, and your TNG and DS9 have been great to see what can be accomplished with some retooling, repainting and some ingenuity. Also, would anybody recommend Milliput? It's quite cheap here and some of my customs require sculpting. I've found also a page on Playtrek, ( http://playtrek.com/...om/1stpage.htm) but the info is some 14 years out of date. Is it still any good? And, for when my friend can fix the camera, can I just upload pictures here? Or do I need an account some where? Sorry to go off topic a bit.

#8 Daysleeper

Daysleeper

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 537 posts
  • Interests:Music, acting, theatre, film, arts in General

Check out my band: www.facebook.com/eastportslackers

Posted 17 March 2013 - 03:24 PM

I usually use apoxie for sculpting, as it cures pretty hard without having to bake it. Never tried Milliput.

#9 Redshirt#7

Redshirt#7

• Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:59 AM

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the help. Finally got around to it and ended up making  Sisko from "Waltz", AKA Sisko argues ethics with a mentally unstable armed mass murderer. The dab it in paint, swipe it dry, paint it on the figure worked a charm, I'll post pictures at the weekend hopefully.

Thanks for the help all!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users