410 replies to this topic

#321 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 10:42 AM

Id give the edge to The Orville.

It was tighter in terms of its writing, it delivered more coherent plots and storytelling, the characters are all far more likeable and Ive already watched the entire series multiple times... its more watchable and that counts for a lot... Discovery I cant bring myself to watch it again, its too heavy, too muddled and although I still like a lot of the show, Ive kind of left Discovery thinking what was the point in all of it? With the Orville its just a great ride, easy to watch, intelligently written and well paced.

Im interested in the direction both shows go in but Discovery is really testing just how much of a loyal Star Trek fan I am by being a little jumbled in its direction... I also think the size of its budget has hurt the show. Star Trek was always driven by the quality of its storytelling and not its budget.

#322 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 11:03 AM

Star Trek has plenty of campy and downright silly episodes... but again... its pretty much what you like. 

I've actually re-watched serval episode of DISCO since the S1 finale... and they are quite a different experience when you finally know the outcome.. intact some of it is actually a bit more enjoyable. I still can't handle all the Klingon in subtext. 

#323 MisterPL

MisterPL

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 08:20 AM

Was season 1 of The Orville better than season 1 of Discovery?

No.

#324 Damon1984

Damon1984

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 11:42 AM

And now to something different...

JLee just posted on his Instagram a story about approving images for a John LaMarr action figure. So maybe action figures of the Orville Crew are coming! \o/

I hope his figure comes with a cup of soda :D

#325 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 11:47 AM

Give me the ship and Im happy.

#326 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 01:16 PM

Interesting! if they make figures maybe they'll make Ships and role play!

#327 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 01:17 PM

Looks like the show won't be coming back this fall after all:

http://ew.com/tv/201...-schedule-2018/

#328 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 05:39 PM

Well... its pushed to mid season... so it will be back but your right not in the fall. they don't say why... I can only speculate that maybe they have production issues or budget issues?

#329 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 11:14 AM

There may not have been space in the schedule. Thursday is now dominated by the NFL and unlike other networks they don't offer programming after 10PM.

#330 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 01:27 PM

thats true... and with the deregulation of sports betting, they say the NFL, as well as other sports will see a significant boost in viewership. All the more reason to stick to streaming sites for me!

#331 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 08:57 AM

https://variety.com/...sed-1202849337/

I'd laugh my ass off if cancel-happy Fox decided to drop Orville only to have it picked up by CBS All Access.  :lol:

#332 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 23 June 2018 - 09:33 AM

Its an interesting dichotomy... on one hand you have Fox supporting what I would say is pretty progressive types of entertainment ("Modern Family" sic etc)  but a non-progressive diet of news... I guess maybe progressives enjoy laughing?  I dunno seems odd to me... but if Fox did cancel The Orville it would be a real coup for AA to snatch it up as ready made original programming!

#333 Damon1984

Damon1984

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 23 June 2018 - 09:52 AM

It's not the first time Seth has criticized Fox News and I doubt it will be the last. I also doubt that Orville is in any danger because of it. No worries :)

#334 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 23 June 2018 - 11:52 AM

I think the deal with Disney is happening... if so its all a moot point... the entertainment side will go with Disney and News corp will be strictly a news outfit again. I'm not sure what that means for Fox as a Station... because Disney has ABC... so will they absorb some stations? I assume they would want to just keep good shows and drop others... lots will change if Disney gets it... not so much if Comcast does. 

#335 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 23 June 2018 - 04:32 PM

I’d rather have Disney get Fox than Comcast.

Comcast is terrible, and at least with Disney we’d get a larger, and hopefully better, Marvel Cinematic Universe.

If The Orville is popular enough, I don’t see Disney ending it. Especially if they plan on keep Seth and his other shows around.

#336 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 07:42 AM

Fox purged plenty of shows in anticipation of a Disney acquisition. I have to wonder how many of these shows were canceled because The House of Mouse wanted them gone. (Lucifer, I'm looking at you.)

#337 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 08:10 AM

yeah but they also cut LA to Vegas, and I actually found that to be funny... I guess maybe no one else did. 

Still... I'm concerned that Disney is now overpaying due to the bidding war with Comcast. If I were Disney, I'd let comcast overpay and then pick up properties and cancellations that will come in the resulting in the fire sale... not to even mention that Comcast will have to *pay* Disney almost 2 Billion to steal it away! they should take the money and then wait for Comcast to sell them the properties they want for a discount because they overpaid!

#338 s8film40

s8film40

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 08:49 AM

It seems the whole Fox merger deal is really all about the foreign assets. Seem like neither side really has much interest in the Fox network. Fox cancellations I think are just part of their outdated way of doing business. They're still stuck at looking at everything and making it work with time slots. I read an article where they were talking about the cancellation of Brooklyn Nine-Nine, they claimed the show was good had a good audience, but they simply didn't have a slot for it. People more and more don't watch TV this way anymore. These people are living in the past and can't see the future, these outdated business models are eventually going to cause them to slip behind.

What really frustrates me is I have a hard time committing to television shows, because you never know if the series is suddenly going to be cancelled on a cliffhanger or something.

#339 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 11:36 AM

What really frustrates me is I have a hard time committing to television shows, because you never know if the series is suddenly going to be cancelled on a cliffhanger or something.

This is why I still enjoy (most) sit-coms. they are typically standalone shows... so it doesn't matter if its canceled... I'll find something else to laugh at... but dramas... yeah that's irritating!

#340 Damon1984

Damon1984

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 03 July 2018 - 07:18 AM

The first official poster for season 2: https://pbs.twimg.co...Aoc4Q.jpg:large

Can't wait! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users