Photo

McFarlane Toys Gets Entire Star Trek Licence!

• Please log in to reply
488 replies to this topic

#221 MisterPL

MisterPL

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 01:03 PM

I'm so glad they don't have a problem with imitation plutonium.

22441W-24-WLY-DeLorean-Time-Machine-BTFI

Seriously, it seems like something has to be an actual firearm in order for there to be an imitation firearm based upon it. 

#222 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 01:23 PM

Cars kill people too, they should also be some neon fluorescent color.

#223 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 01:46 PM

I laughed at this more than I probably should have.

You and I both,,, I went looking for a plain pink gun because I've seen plenty of them... and found that... limited edition too! only 500 pieces!

#224 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 01:46 PM

Cars kill people too, they should also be some neon fluorescent color.

Then people will but a bright orange bra on their car and fool people into not thinking its not real!

#225 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 01:50 PM

It looks like that orange cap is removable?

I think it rotates.. so it would be "movable" but how easy it will be to re-move will be the question.

#226 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 07:13 PM

Also guns... while a phaser isnt a gun that would cause harm to someone, there is quite clearly a gun problem in the US that needs resolving before these kinds of laws are relaxed but lets be mindful of the fact that this topic is quite politically charged so perhaps we should just accept that a toy phaser will have something on it that identifies it as a toy and not a real weapon.

#227 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 03:05 PM

Well... some folks think we have a constitutional issue... but we won't go into that. 

Basically there is a federal law that mandates the orange cap. Its CA and other states that have upped the ante.

I guess I don't quite understand how anovos is able to sell a replica w/o issue, but McFarlane can't... maybe its how the item is classified... which is to say an Adult collector Prop Replica, vs a Toy weapon?

Still the CA rules seem pretty specific... even giving leeway to use on film sets etc...

#228 RizzoPSU

RizzoPSU

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 11:46 AM

Off topic of the phaser/laser pistol....
Aren't Kirk and Picard supposed to be released in the next few days?

#229 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 01:34 PM

BBTS says April for the figures and 3rd quarter for the phase... so yeah.. I guess we should see them soon.

#230 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 08:26 AM

Well, now it's May.

McFarlane = the new DST?

When this news hit I kind was hoping we had a figure avalanche in our future but I am no longer thinking the renaissance is upon us.  Wouldn't be surprised at all if this is a captain-only cash grab one&done (two&done).

#231 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 09:54 AM

I would think, like most other companies, they have high hopes, but they plan subsequent product based on reception. I loved the Mezco one 12th  Trek offerings... but we really didn't get much past Kirk and Spock before that seemed to fade out. 

I assume they will gauge the reception... the good news is theres a season two of DISCO coming which may keep related merchandise in peoples mind, the bad news is we won't see S2 til next year meaning there isn't t a huge incentive to get product out quickly to capitalize.  

#232 Damon1984

Damon1984

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 11:17 AM

My local online retailer says "End of July". I'm in Germany, but usually we aren't that far behind the US releases. *shrugs*

#233 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • Interests:"Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?"

Posted 09 May 2018 - 01:45 PM

Seeing that we are getting the character Barb for the Stranger Things line already fills me with much hope for McFarlanes Star Trek line. I think the timing of Discovery Season 2, the present Toys R Us situation and the talks of CBS/Paramount regrouping have had a lot to do with the delays in this lines launch. I mean we dont want to leave space dock without a full complement of photon torpedoes do we?

#234 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 02:00 PM

You have a point bgiles73 about the paramount / CBS thing... they could be distracted which might slow down licensing approvals. One would hope not, but it happens.

#235 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 03:33 PM

Barb is a major, major fan favorite character (for reasons I don't understand personally) as can be seen throughout much of social media and meme-dom.

So, I don't consider her to be a deep cutting risky figure that bodes well as a bellwether for most of our own favorite Trek characters...  But DST has trained me to be a cup half empty guy when it comes to this property, so, there ya go.

#236 Alex

Alex

• Members
  • 926 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 02:19 AM

It probably means that the restrictions in those states are so ridiculous that they would have to modify it to the point where it wouldnt look right. If so good for them for going the more authentic route. I live locally to Disney World and the toy guns got kind of ridiculous. Beyond the orange tip they were required to make the whole thing a solid bright color. They always said they did that so they could sell them in CA also. Of course now theyve just totally banned toy guns. You cant buy them and you cant bring your own. Im not a gun person at all, but the whole anti-gun stuff has really gotten out of control.

The restrictions in those states are ridiculous, and I'm actually a little (pleasantly) surprised that my state isn't on the list for "dumb toy gun laws." (We're too busy worrying about letting people pump their own gas, because, you know, it's still the height of Prohibition and mobsters are lighting people up and blasting them with machine guns.) I could buy WDW really going with making the whole thing orange initially so they could sell them at Disneyland too without an entire separate special run of toys for the other theme park, but I know they've gotten more cautious over the year. I'm not a gun person, but it seems like people are more fixated on taking care of the problem caused by toy guns instead of tackling any serious issues related to real ones that might involve some real effort. I get it, I know New York and California had way too many well publicized "shot accidentally with a toy gun" stories, and I'm sure the massacre at Sandy Hook is what lead Connecticut to follow suit as well, but Kansas kind of surprises me. Oh, and if your toy gun lights up and doesn't have a trigger guard, it's probably a toy gun!

Yeah thats kind of scary stuff. Although I think if something like this is marketed as collectors items and not typically sold through regular retail outlets as true kids toys there should be an exception. Im just thankful for now I dont live in a state with crazy laws like that.

This is something I'd like to see carved out as an exemption to the orange tip law, but people are going to need to write intelligent typewritten snail mailed letters to their congressperson if they actually want them to do anything about this.

Ever since that orange tip law went into effect I've been waiting for a news report of a criminal painting his real gun bright orange to fool police into thinking it's fake.

As evidenced by photos in this thread, people have painted their real guns in colors that make them look like toys, (I actually remember seeing a photo years ago of a real handgun that was painted with an orange tip specifically to conceal it as toy,) but somewhat surprisingly, none of the people who've gone on shooting sprees have had oranged tipped weaponry. Sadly, the day they do may be the day that this stupid law is finally done away with once people realize that it actually does nothing, and people with concealed carry permits apparently modify their real guns quite often to disguise them with the infamous orange tip.

Yeah, this isn't McFarlane, it's the laws in those states. That's why all the Star Wars Nerf guns are crazy colors, even if they're replicating Han's or Rey's blasters. The orange tip sucks, just like it did with Enterprise, but at least they aren't adding to the bulk of the gun with an orange cap. It'll actually be easier to pain the correct color this way. Sucks as a collector, but I do get it. And we don't get a Neon Green phaser. It is funny that DST got away with phasers that aren't that far off from this. But the black color may not help the case.

I think the extra colors and slightly more "retro ray gun" look of the TOS Phaser might be what allowed DST to get away with this. Actually, I kind of wish DSC had just run with a more retro "laser pistol" like Pike's, or had just gone with TOS phasers since it would have probably allowed McFarlane to get away with the same thing DST did.

Is it possible to include a replacement piece in the package that just happens to be black???

LOOPHOLES - GET CREATIVE, PEOPLE

Art Asylum gave the exact shade of gray on their old forum once needed to repaint the evil orange tip. However, if you want your replica to be legal, just use it in a fan film! (There's your loophole people!) Now quick, I need someone to help me with "set phasers to dumb," a short about how orange–tipped phasers are killing people en masse while real weapons are harmless. :P

#237 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 03:14 AM

I need someone to help me with "set phasers to dumb," a short about how orange–tipped phasers are killing people en masse while real weapons are harmless. :P

Brilliant!

#238 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 07:00 AM

As Gothneo suggested, Todd has the children's role play category, not the replica category. Toys are more heavily regulated because people love kids and don't want to see them get hurt by someone who mistakes their toy for a real firearm.

#239 weyoun_9

weyoun_9

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 433 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 07:36 AM

L'Rell!

https://trekmovie.co...star-trek-toys/

#240 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 12:01 PM

Thank you for Pre-ordering from BigBadToyStore!

We have been informed by McFarlane Toys that they will not be producing the Star Trek: Discovery Phaser Prop Replica. Unfortunately this means we must cancel our Pre-orders for this item. If this item is re-solicited in the future, we will be sure to publish it on our website once again. 

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users