Photo

McFarlane Toys Gets Entire Star Trek Licence!

• Please log in to reply
488 replies to this topic

#61 Sybeck1

Sybeck1

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 06:43 PM

I would love this line to work. I see many names here who were on the old AA board here. You have seen the problems of that line. Ever changing scales between waves and show lines. The wonky Data legs. The cancelled wave 5 of TOS and Borgs.

McFarlane has great likenesses. Thier Walking Dead figures look great. But the plastic is so brittle I had a Michonne sword snap right into taking it out of the package. That has me worried. Also articulation. I held off years from buying the Select figures and in the end only bought them for the background pieces. So I have to wait to see. These should be at San Diego Comic-Con I think

#62 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • Interests:"Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?"

Posted 24 May 2017 - 06:59 PM

I see for many of the figures announced by McFarlane Toys as coming soon they have gone out of their way to point out the inclusion of 14POA at least. Destiny, Labrinth, The Dark Crystal and now Star Trek are making a point to go out of their way to make that known. I guess NECA's sales haven't gone unnoticed by Todd McFarlane!

#63 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 06:24 AM

With walking dead they have mainly three different size figures.
7" color top figures. These are similar to select figures. Very little articulation and are meant as display pieces. Very detailed and sticks to main characters.
5" fully articulated figures. These are smaller fully articulated figures with lots of accessories. Some characters even get the deluxe treatment with lager display pieces. They aren't afraid to do pretty much every character in the catalog either.
10" thes are like the color top figures but larger and stick to main characters in iconic poses.

Assasins creed gets pretty much the same treatment as above.
Halo does mainly a 5/6" articulated line.

I think we should expect the same treatment from Star Trek. If so we should be able to expect lots of good stuff in the future.

#64 Morgan

Morgan

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 04:55 PM

Very cool piece of news regarding McFarlane, I've always wondered how they might do Trek just based on their Walking Dead figures, which are phenomenal. Really hope to see 5-inch figures from them -- that seems like a Target-friendly format that keeps the price realistic -- with tons of accessories. McFarlane of the 90s was groundbreaking, even if the figures themselves didn't have the best articulation.

I'm just glad that a company that can crank out tons of different characters got this license. Oversized figures priced $14.99 or whatever... there's only so much that retailers can keep on the shelves when its something expensive and big like that, so I hope they go for a smaller format.

I really hope McFarlane takes a look at how Playmates did the Trek line in the 90s and keeps the aspects that worked, such as a deep lineup and lots of variety.

#65 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 10:54 PM

Morgan, you raise some very valid points about Mcfarlane's - Walking Dead 5" scale. I often forget that those also represent what we might just be in store for! The characters and zombies are all well represented and with 14 or more points of articulation! Offhand I can't really think of how many waves or figures have been created but I'm sure that figure count is impressive. Thinking about what McFarlane has done with zombies just fills me with all kinds of hope when thinking about what their take on the Borg will be! I think we are in for some good times.

#66 JMW326

JMW326

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 06:54 AM

The 5" line for Walking dead is really fun to collect. I have pretty much all of them and love that they are not afraid of doing pretty much any character and every version of zombie there is. That gives me hope for different aliens in their Trek offerings. 

McFarlane also doesn't do much reusing of parts. Most every character's figure has unique sculpts and pieces used. 

#67 JonWes

JonWes

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 08:58 PM

I'm sure we'll see 7'' figures. McFarlane is moving away from the 5'' figures, and TWD only keeps going because fans demand it. Hopefully they are going for more fully articulated figures. However, I will say... I saw their Clash of the Titans figure today and was amazed at how awful the articulation looked. It was so dated and exposed, with the pegs not matching the color of the surrounding plastic. Yikes.

#68 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 09:35 PM

If these are articulated like the upcoming Destiny figures releasing in July I will really be happy. I was hoping for 5" but I agree that McFarlane seems to be moving over to 7". I hope this leaves the possibility open for Funko to deliver in 3 3/4". Those new Twin Peaks and 1966 Batman figures are outstanding. Way better than those Reaction releases. Certainly proving the need for a second shot at Star Trek!

#69 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 06:15 AM

I think with some confidence, I can say that we won't be getting any Star Trek 3 3/4 scale figures.

The Star Trek scale is 7 inches, has been for over 15/16 years now. I think I read somewhere that the new Star Trek figures from McFarlane will feature 14 points?

#70 s8film40

s8film40

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 07:00 AM

I think with some confidence, I can say that we won't be getting any Star Trek 3 3/4 scale figures.

The Star Trek scale is 7 inches, has been for over 15/16 years now. I think I read somewhere that the new Star Trek figures from McFarlane will feature 14 points?

Actually that could be a good reason to do a different scale. Honestly if these are 7" like DST has been doing, unless something is really drastically different I'm probably only going to be interested in collecting what I don't already have from DST. Now if they do 3 3/4" and start making some really great set pieces as well I would likely consider starting in on that line.

#71 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 11:37 AM

Exactly. I collect the hell out of NECA's Alien line, but that doesn't stop me from buying Funko/Super7 retro 3 3/4" and Hiya Toys line as well (Do a Google search for Hiya Toys' Alien APC for an example of a truly great vehicle that would be impractical at 7" scale!) To say that Star Trek is only 7" scale isn't entirely factual and doesn't take into account Megabloks minifigures, Playmates and Funko's less than stellar attempts, DST's proposed 3 3/4" line that lost ground after Playmates 2009 dismal attempt. 7" scale is a preference for some, but there is also a thriving 1:18th community. Bossfight Studios is just one of the best examples of this. I would truly love to see one of these Kickstarter companies get a shot at Star Trek! I mean this as no swipe at you 1701D, but scale preferences are apples and oranges. It's all personal preferences and I agree with the whole IDIC philosophy in my action figure collection.

#72 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 11:48 AM

I'd love to see multiple different scales from Macfarlane, and really hope for my personal preference that Trek gets some of their Color Tops style figures.

#73 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 02:27 PM

I'm hoping McFarlane will stick with one scale and make it the best that it can be. I think Playmates was giving a minimalistic effort to a maximum quantity of multiple scales and the whole endeavor was wasted. We are much better off with different licenses with different companies. QMX - 12" scale, McFarlane - 7" articulated, DST - 7" minimal articulation, Mezco 6", Megaconstrux - 2" and so on. This leaves the license for 3 3/4" open for Star Trek. I wouldn't write off the scale just yet. Just the announcement of the McFarlane license alone, leads me to believe that CBS is attempting bolder new marketing methods and I believe the are covering all the bases!

#74 JMW326

JMW326

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 05:30 PM

I'd love to see multiple different scales from Macfarlane, and really hope for my personal preference that Trek gets some of their Color Tops style figures.

I agree. I would love to see a couple of different scales just like the Walking Dead figures.

#75 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 08:15 PM

Hoping that Star Trek will at least have the same articulation of Destiny regardless of scale.

http://news.toyark.c...-figures-254324

#76 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 08:47 PM

Those look decent.

I hope they include the little bases like the Color Tops figure include if that's what Trek gets.

#77 djc242

djc242

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 08:50 PM

With the ever expanding Eaglemoss collection and all the DST stuff I don't see myself starting a new line of figures...

...unless they have awesome playsets. :) Good lord, imagine a DS9 Ops!

#78 richpit

richpit

The card is maxed out.

• Members
  • 261 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek toys, Star Trek props, Star Trek stuff in general!

Posted 01 June 2017 - 07:03 PM

I'm just hoping for a decent Discovery communicator.  If the tricorder & phaser are cool in the series, I'll want those too! 

#79 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 10:03 AM

I'm with you richpit! I think the role play has become some of my fav collectibles!

#80 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 10:47 AM

If they do make some role play stuff, which I expect since it was in the announcement, I really hope they include some kind of display base. The phasers from DST are just a pain to display without buying a third party display base, so it'd be amazing if Macfarlane did something like that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users