• Please log in to reply
1901 replies to this topic

#1521 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 11:58 AM

Star Treks technology does whatever the plot requires of it, so Im sure well get some explanation as to why she did it.

#1522 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 02:47 PM

Ha ha ha! this thread has taken a turn for the absurd.... absurdly hilarious! Screw it if I can't see it... I'll just live vicariously through ya'll!!

#1523 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 04:52 PM

Hey, at least you're criticizing something you've actually seen. I'm pretty sure Trekkies invented nitpicking so, yeah, I'll allow it.  :D 

I'm on the other end of the spectrum because, back in the day, in was my job to make sense of stuff like this.

We all here are good at imagining explanations...you don't love Trek so much you collect toys and post on a forum without learning how to do that! But you also don't get where we are without asking in the first place!

Does that last bit mean you used to write those old trek nitpick books? Famous author in our midst???

#1524 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 05:17 PM

A glimpse of Shenzhous engineering section:
MYWnatd.jpg

#1525 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 04:15 AM

So... flashy as that is... I have to wonder if its actually useful... or distracting?  I work with people that design Industrial Control rooms ... and the first thing they do are task analysis to ensure the layout is efficient, doesn't have distractions, is clear, visible, etc... 

#1526 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 06:20 PM

It's no brewery that's for sure!

#1527 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 03:53 AM

Thanks.... Now I want to see Laverne & Shirley in space!

#1528 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 11:48 AM

Thanks.... Now I want to see Laverne & Shirley in space!

Only if Lenny and Squiggy go with them. But today they would make Laverne and Shirley as a gay couple and Lenny and Squiggy would be a black transgendered couple. Hey, that's progress though, right?

#1529 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 12:15 PM

wow. you just can't find some fun in anything any more VF can you... I find that sad. 

#1530 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 02:14 PM

Wow talk about glass half empty VF. Change is the essential process of life. You might not agree with or like the changes made but I don't understand Star Trek fans of all fans, that can't embrace or accept social and ethical progress, change, diversity and equality. Moreover I don't get why you'd continue to comment on something your so so bitter about?

There's being negative and disappointed in the choices the team creating Discovery and Star Trek these days but isn't there anything that you genuinely like - and I mean genuinely - about Star Trek since Voyager?

#1531 s8film40

s8film40

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 03:04 PM

I think I get what VF was going for. To me it's really more a joke about how something can't be made anymore without social progress being shoehorned into it. I think we can all agree social progress is good. To me it gets a little cringe worthy when it's  so forced. If a television studio for example can't make a new show without analyzing the makeup of the cast and changing it to try to portray a group that hasn't been represented as well. Again not that any of that is bad, but when it gets in the way of creatively making a story it is quite the opposite of social progress.

#1532 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 03:11 PM

I think I get what VF was going for. To me it's really more a joke about how something can't be made anymore without social progress being shoehorned into it. I think we can all agree social progress is good. To me it gets a little cringe worthy when it's  so forced. If a television studio for example can't make a new show without analyzing the makeup of the cast and changing it to try to portray a group that hasn't been represented as well. Again not that any of that is bad, but when it gets in the way of creatively making a story it is quite the opposite of social progress.

Well, at least someone understood it, lol

#1533 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 04:13 PM

I think I get what VF was going for. To me it's really more a joke about how something can't be made anymore without social progress being shoehorned into it.

Maybe... but the original post had nothing to do with that... just some fun about beer and some random sitcom that included beer as a subtext and sticking it in space... thats a lark...

Then someone goes and takes it to a place that to me... is very un-trek like...  trek and fandom are supposed to be about inclusiveness...  to me that came off as homophobic and transphobic. There was no context for it, and I can't see how its relevant.

Its just Bad form IMO. But thats fine... I don't think it adds anything constructive.. or humorous for that matter to the conversation. 

#1534 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 06:21 PM

Yeah I got what VF was saying. it just wasn't funny.

It wasn't funny because it's clearly come from a place of bitterness.

Bitterness because for VF Star Trek has become something he doesn't recognise anymore and hasn't done for quite some time, it's become something he doesn't agree with and it's become something he feels is as a result of a wider change in society...

He is entitled to his opinions, no matter how bitter and bigoted they may seem to me and have come across, joke or no joke in his previous post. If you have those opinions, if you believe that this world is going to the dogs because we are becoming more tolerant and accepting of minority groups then I wholeheartedly question your credentials as a fan of Star Trek.

As far as I'm concerned it's about time Star Trek really embraced inclusivity and rammed it as far down our throats as possible - let's see a transgender main character.

As far as I can see, exploring inclusivity and all the troubles we find ourselves in today accepting others with differing lifestyles to the majority is one thing Star Trek: Discovery is doing and hopefully will do effectively.

VF you clearly have a choice here, you can go on being bitter about Discovery, or you can begin to question whether or not Star Trek has anything left to give to you and the opinions you have.

#1535 s8film40

s8film40

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 07:06 PM

Maybe... but the original post had nothing to do with that... just some fun about beer and some random sitcom that included beer as a subtext and sticking it in space... thats a lark...

Then someone goes and takes it to a place that to me... is very un-trek like...  trek and fandom are supposed to be about inclusiveness...  to me that came off as homophobic and transphobic. There was no context for it, and I can't see how its relevant.

Its just Bad form IMO. But thats fine... I don't think it adds anything constructive.. or humorous for that matter to the conversation. 

I don't disagree with this. I can see where VF is coming from but as you said the initial comment was fairly light hearted. I think there's just a lot of emotion connected to this subject due to the disappointment of this new series. Everyone handles that in different ways.

#1536 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 05:27 AM

I don't disagree with this. I can see where VF is coming from but as you said the initial comment was fairly light hearted. I think there's just a lot of emotion connected to this subject due to the disappointment of this new series. Everyone handles that in different ways.

We kind of need to stop talking for VF. Being disappointed is one thing, but from what I've seen VF isn't disappointed, he's bitter. He's been bitter ever since Enterprise and his attitude here was out of line.

We're talking about a damn TV show, let's gain some perspective. I'm disappointed by aspects of Discovery but I'm certainly going to watch it and judge it when I've seen it. VF is essentially trolling around hiding behind the excuse that at one point he was actually a Star Trek fan...

#1537 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 06:55 AM

Just out of curiosity, what streaming services does every one get?

Currently I only have the Amazon... mostly because its bundled with the prime... at $99 a year I don't think that service alone is worth the ~$8 per mo... but if you make use of the shipping, music and other services its ok.

I've been looking at adding Sling... and Maybe CBS AA. 

#1538 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 07:10 AM

Currently have Netflix and Prime. 

Will no doubt be adding All Access with no commercials for when Discovery is on, pending I like the Pilot. 

#1539 s8film40

s8film40

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 08:14 AM

We kind of need to stop talking for VF. Being disappointed is one thing, but from what I've seen VF isn't disappointed, he's bitter. He's been bitter ever since Enterprise and his attitude here was out of line.

We're talking about a damn TV show, let's gain some perspective. I'm disappointed by aspects of Discovery but I'm certainly going to watch it and judge it when I've seen it. VF is essentially trolling around hiding behind the excuse that at one point he was actually a Star Trek fan...

I try to give people some leeway on both sides. Star Trek isn't just a TV show, it's a whole lot more than that. There's 50 years of emotion invested in this franchise. So when someone is excited about a new series even if I see issues I try to understand a bit even if they're blindly defending it. Likewise if someone's a little grumpy that something they care so much about is being destroyed I can understand that perspective. For now I think it's best we all try to put that aside and wait and see what comes of this.

#1540 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 08:20 AM

Oh, I'm still a Star Trek fan, just not of the dribble that has come out branded as Star Trek since Enterprise. I suppose it's hard to expect the Television industry to put out a show that appeals to older, conservative audiences since the industry is apparently ran by left leaning , liberal thinking ,politically correct loving young people that want to advance their agenda on society. I guess I will give up on ever getting any real Star Trek again.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: star, trek, cbs, 2017, series

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users