#1501 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 11:45 AM

Another clip:

https://streamable.com/nyl9v

I usually try to avoid watching stuff to remain as unspoiled as possible, but i'm so excited for Discovery that I can't seem to help it. 

#1502 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 03:21 PM

Another clip:

I usually try to avoid watching stuff to remain as unspoiled as possible, but i'm so excited for Discovery that I can't seem to help it. 

Was waiting for the them to find Bantha tracks and get attacked by Sandpeople. Maybe take a ride in a sandcrawler?

#1503 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 04:00 PM

Was waiting for the them to find Bantha tracks and get attacked by Sandpeople. Maybe take a ride in a sandcrawler?

VF, I've shared some of your concerns about this series but not everything set on a desert is instantly copying Star Wars. Desert locations existed way before Star Wars was a twinkle in George Lucas' eye.

I get yours and many others frustration over Discovery but it's too late. This show is coming, its 16 days away, it's time to just accept that and move on.

By all means critique the show when it airs, but the time has kind of passed to be bitter about this, it's time to let go and let the pieces fall as they may.

It could suck, but Star Trek deserves everyone's benefit of the doubt, these men and women who've worked on this show have been nothing but gracious, respectful and passionate about not just the show they're making but of Star Trek and it's continuing legacy. That may not translate into a good solid Star Trek show but it's at least enough to earn some respect from those who claim to be Star Trek fans.

Put down the pitch fork, enjoy the ride and if you really don't like it or have no intention of watching, then respectfully, it's time you walked away. For you, for many others Star Trek has clearly turned its back and moved on from what you know and understand as being true/real Star Trek.

Don't let this be like a long drawn out break up, where you both want to remain friends but you just can't bear to see her move on to other guys, enjoying her life and experiencing new things while you wallow in bitterness and self pity.

Star Trek has moved on, it's up to you (and me and many others) as to whether or not there's a friendship there worth saving. Or whether she's just changed too much and that new bf; All Access, is just too much of a dick to get past.

#1504 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 05:01 PM

My god man, what kind of complaint is this? Its on the same level as people conplaining that it looks to nice to be Star Trek. Heaven forbid a show with a good budget uses it.

Desert planets exist in other universes than Star Wars.

#1505 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 07:33 PM

By all means critique the show when it airs, but the time has kind of passed to be bitter about this, it's time to let go and let the pieces fall as they may.

This.

And I'll add that if your the type of person that can't move forward, then just be happy watching re-runs of what you do like.... And if those people want to star threads talking about specific episodes, I know I'll be happy to chime in.

Again... From that second clip... That looks like some great cinematography... It looks great!

#1506 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 07:49 PM

I don't plan on moving on at all. I was a Star Trek fan back when there was nothing but TOS. I remember being excited about TAS when it debuted in the early to mid 1970's. I've waited for each movie and series and enjoyed them all until they got to Enterprise. They tried to change Star Trek and force it down our throats and they alienated much of the fanbase. That show ended up bombing and cancelled. The garbage Kelvin universe movies have only served to continue, if not deepen that alienation.When they make another Star Trek series that veteran Star Trek fans want to see then they may reunite the fanbase. Recent Star Wars movies have been seen as successful and no doubt CBS would like to capitalize off of themes that may resonate with younger audiences that like Star Wars , and desert scenes bring to mind Star Wars and may get their attention.CBS is out to make money,they don't really care about Star Trek, they care about money so throwing in Star Wars like scenes will hopefully make then some money.Abrams surely tried his best to make Star Trek into Star Wars himself, especially on his first movie.

#1507 s8film40

s8film40

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 07:54 PM

VF, I've shared some of your concerns about this series but not everything set on a desert is instantly copying Star Wars. Desert locations existed way before Star Wars was a twinkle in George Lucas' eye.

We've seen deserts in Star Trek before, it isn't the desert that's an issue it's the overall style. Those costumes are clearly a ripoff of Star Wars. Even the most casual observers couldn't help but draw similarities between the scenes shown and what Rey wears in the new movie. Even Enterprise had modern looking desert wear.

#1508 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 07:56 PM

We've seen deserts in Star Trek before, it isn't the desert that's an issue it's the overall style. Those costumes are clearly a ripoff of Star Wars. Even the most casual observers couldn't help but draw similarities between the scenes shown and what Rey wears in the new movie. Even Enterprise had modern looking desert wear.

I am glad someone else see's this too.

#1509 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 08:53 PM

It sounds like they were observing another civilization, they were probably dressed like the civilization they were observing so they didnt stand out.

If youd paid attention to the clip instead of looking for reasons to hate it, you may have noticed that.

Enterprise was fine Star Trek, and season 4 was some of the best Trek weve gotten.

#1510 s8film40

s8film40

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 09:19 PM

It sounds like they were observing another civilization, they were probably dressed like the civilization they were observing so they didnt stand out.

If youd paid attention to the clip instead of looking for reasons to hate it, you may have noticed that.

Enterprise was fine Star Trek, and season 4 was some of the best Trek weve gotten.

Yes because the civilization they were observing just happens to look nearly identical to a popular movie that came out a year ago.

I didn't have to even notice it myself. Friends who know nothing at all about Star Trek we're posting meme's making fun of the similarities, it was obvious to the general public.

I don't objectively have an issue with the look. It's just concerning and sad to see a lack of originality. You can make an excuse for why they copied Star Wars, but at the same time they could have done something completely original.

#1511 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 11:20 PM

Yes because the civilization they were observing just happens to look nearly identical to a popular movie that came out a year ago.

I didn't have to even notice it myself. Friends who know nothing at all about Star Trek we're posting meme's making fun of the similarities, it was obvious to the general public.

I don't objectively have an issue with the look. It's just concerning and sad to see a lack of originality. You can make an excuse for why they copied Star Wars, but at the same time they could have done something completely original.

Yes, your right,people were confused by the trailer . A friend of mine that's a big Star Trek fan mentioned to me at work that he saw the trailer on Facebook and thought it was a Star Wars trailer at first. If he was fooled, many people who are only casual or not Trek fans at all would be drawn to it thinking it's a Star Wars trailer, which is what CBS was shooting for in my opinion.

#1512 robster

robster

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 11:21 PM

Now if Star Wars could do something completely original I'd be a happy camper! lol!

REALLY looking forward to the new Trek show! Let the haters hate,like they always will anyways,let the trolls troll,and let the rest of us just enjoy what might be good or bad. Just have to wait and see. And I agree,it's too late,it's coming,and just don't watch it if you already hate it so much even though you haven't seen a single episode yet,lol!

Was TNG recieved this way back in the day as well? I know there was a lot of hate in the very beginning,but since there wasn't much internet back then it took a while to see it all,via letters to mags and people you talked with or whatever.

Roll on the 24th!

#1513 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 01:35 AM

I don't plan on moving on at all. I was a Star Trek fan back when there was nothing but TOS. I remember being excited about TAS when it debuted in the early to mid 1970's. I've waited for each movie and series and enjoyed them all until they got to Enterprise. They tried to change Star Trek and force it down our throats and they alienated much of the fanbase. That show ended up bombing and cancelled. The garbage Kelvin universe movies have only served to continue, if not deepen that alienation.When they make another Star Trek series that veteran Star Trek fans want to see then they may reunite the fanbase. Recent Star Wars movies have been seen as successful and no doubt CBS would like to capitalize off of themes that may resonate with younger audiences that like Star Wars , and desert scenes bring to mind Star Wars and may get their attention.CBS is out to make money,they don't really care about Star Trek, they care about money so throwing in Star Wars like scenes will hopefully make then some money.Abrams surely tried his best to make Star Trek into Star Wars himself, especially on his first movie.

Yeah but VF, Star Trek IS wherever you joined the series - it's clear to me that Star Trek has been disappointing you since Enterprise in 2001!!! Star Trek for me "is" TNG/DS9/VOY - those are the shows that introduced me to Star Trek and those are the shows that I recognise as Star Trek but it doesn't mean that the Star Trek I don't enjoy as much is any less relevant to Star Trek or other fans.

It doesn't mean though that the Abrams movies aren't Star Trek. For millions, they are and have served as the gateway into this universe.

I think it's all very well that fans have their own opinions and points of views on something, be critical but never loose sight of the fact that you don't have a monopoly on Star Trek just because you were a fan first. Let's welcome new fans into the fold, through whatever incarnation of Star Trek they like the best because it's absolutely fine if someone loves the Kelvin movies over TOS or TNG.

Discovery will hopefully bring new fans into Star Trek, for them Discovery will be their Star Trek. A show that is more relevant to them than TOS or TNG or Abrams movies... to them and their posterity we will commit our future. They will continue the voyages we have begun, and journey to all the undiscovered counties, boldly going where no man... no one has gone before.

#1514 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 04:27 AM

Yep. I love Season 4 of ENT!

Yeah but VF, Star Trek IS wherever you joined the series - it's clear to me that Star Trek has been disappointing you since Enterprise in 2001!!!

I'm gonna disagree on the 1st point... I watched TOS as re-runs in the 70s... watched TAS Sat Mornings when it came out... I watched TNG when it was new... I watched VOY, DS9 and ENT... all had enjoyable aspects to me... I consider DS9 the pinnacle of Trek... but thats whats great fandom is what you make it.

I was just at DragonCon in Atlanta last week... they ran PSAs that basically said if a property never changes, it just dies... and because you may not like something, other fans do.

On the last point... I suspect Star Trek has been disappointing VF since DS9. 

Myself... I didn't care for the reboots. No need to rehash all that... Discovery isn't that... it isn't TOS, TAS, TNG, DS9, VOY or ENT... its something new, something different... I'll give it a chance. The clips we've seen look gorgeous... I just gotta figure out how to see it!

#1515 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 06:06 AM

Absolutely, I meant that fans have entered this world through every incarnation and that should be welcomed and embraced by the existing fan community not rejected by fans who can't look beyond their preconceptions over their idea of Star Trek. New fans are rediscovering old series via the new movies, but Star Trek is to the individual, that initial point of contact with the franchise. If that fan is brought into Trek via Star Trek Into Darkness, to that fan, Star Trek Into Darkness is Star Trek. If he or she goes and finds TOS or DS9, Then they may very well believe that those shows are better, but that doesn't make Star Trek Into Darkness any less an important part of Star Trek for that person. Loads of people are fans of the 2009 movie but hate the older shows and movies and that's fine, that's what's great about this franchise. It's many things to many people and while absolutely be critical of Star Trek's many incarnations but I get really annoyed when fans almost come across as feeling that they have some kind of god given right to tell someone who loves Into Darkness or will be brought into this world through Discovery, that they're wrong or not a true Star Trek fan for liking those versions of Trek. That's such a ridiculous notion as we were all brought into this franchise at various points of its 50 year history.

#1516 MisterPL

MisterPL

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 07:54 AM

So if it takes place in the desert and features people wearing things you'd wear in the desert, it's Star Wars.

chewbacca___lawrence_of_arabia_by_rabitt

Well fuck me. I learned something today.

Seriously though, I remember the internet uproar back in the 30's when Buck Rogers had an Asian wandering around in the desert. People called the SJWs out on that, too. Hollywood still hasn't learned that science-fiction is no place for inclusivity.

buck-rogers.jpg

#1517 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 08:25 AM

Another clip:

Is it time to nitpick yet?  Because...I suspect their tracks were making some kind of symbol visible to the ship up above as a signal...  but...  in an aerial shot they are walking around on some VERY bumpy, large dunes...  would be pretty hard for any mere mortal to make a perfect symbol on such uneven ground without any instruments.

Also...  how much of this symbol would she really need to make before the crew of a ship would be like "yep...that's them...let's go"?  Apparently the entire thing.  Could have saved herself some walking with a smaller symbol or with more lenient orders.  "Look if you see someone who looks like me start walking in a pattern...come get me...I don't have all day..."

Also... I thought we had better technology than smoke signals in the future.

Oh wait, what's that you say?  I haven't seen the whole scene yet?  NEVER STOPPED ME BEFORE!!!!!  lulz

#1518 MisterPL

MisterPL

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 09:14 AM

Hey, at least you're criticizing something you've actually seen. I'm pretty sure Trekkies invented nitpicking so, yeah, I'll allow it.  :D 

I'm on the other end of the spectrum because, back in the day, in was my job to make sense of stuff like this. Therefore I'll suggest that there's some kind of interference (damned tachyons!) preventing anything but "smoke signals" from being used. What's left behind will be crop circles to the locals.  B)

#1519 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 09:41 AM

In one of the trailers, we saw a Starfleet delta in the sand.

That’s the symbol I’d guess they were making.

We won’t really know why they were making it, or what was really going on until we see the episode.

#1520 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 11:22 AM

The insignia in the sand is so silly. I assumed it was just for the purpose of the trailer... clearly not haha.

It's not the first time Star Trek has been silly though... turbo boots, uhura's fan dance, keenser's snot... amazing grace being played at a Vulcans funeral... spocks brain... Rascals.

It's fun, I like the fact that there's some humour in it. Hopefully this is explained to be a way in which Gorgeo gets Burnam to talk to her? Like it wasn't just the captains first thought; I know let's walk for hundreds of miles to draw out a Star Trek logo haha

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: star, trek, cbs, 2017, series

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users