Photo

SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! About SW TFA! SPOILER ALERT!

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#1 robster

robster

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 03:46 PM

And I'll say it again,SPOILER ALERT for those who have not seen the movie,DO NOT READ ON unless you WANT to be spoiled! WARNING enough I hope,lol!

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

So,Han dying. No wonder Harrison Ford has been so happy and all smiles lately! He got his wish to be killed off. A lot of fans believe he's still alive though,y'know.....no one dies in sci fi movies and so on,LOL!

And Luke not saying one single word?! And not enough R2 in there either.

J-R!

#2 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 04:48 PM

Han is dead... He was stabbed through the chest, fell down a shaft, and then the planet exploded. You don't come back from that.

#3 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 06:10 PM

Is the Millennium Falcon ok though? 

#4 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 06:39 PM

Oh the Falcon is fine, Chewie and Rey fly her out of there.

Im also going to add that while characters coming back from the dead does happen in a lot of franchises, I don't think Star Wars is one of them.

#5 djc242

djc242

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 09:27 PM

Leia has a rough life:  

- Her mom dies shortly after giving birth because her heart was so broken from Anakin doing what he did and almost killing her

- she's raised not even knowing she has a brother

- spends her life fighting the Empire

- watches her home planet and almost everyone she ever cared about get vaporized (as her father watches)

- falls for Han Solo, who then gets frozen in carbonite

- finds out Luke, a guy she kissed, is her brother (not so bad, just weird)

- finds out one of the most evil men in the galaxy is her father

- wasn't a great mom and lost a kid to the Dark Side, who killed all the other young Jedis

- became estranged from Han Solo and her brother decides to vanish

- reconnected with Han Solo only to then have him killed by her son about a day later

#6 VorlonKosh

VorlonKosh

The card is maxed out.

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 11:19 PM

Did anyone else think there were alot of similarities between vii and iv?

#7 Prometheus

Prometheus

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 11:24 PM

I really liked the movie but it was a serious bummer about Han. :(

Agree that Han Solo is never being resurrected!!! He died a tragic death. You don't get more dead than that!!

#8 Prometheus

Prometheus

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 11:37 PM

I think one of my favorite parts was when Rey and Finn were escaping the First Order on Jakku and running for the quad jumper.... Finn says what about that ship over there and Rey says about it being a pile of garbage..... After the quad jumper is destroyed that theme music plays and the Falcon is revealed !!!

Gave me goosebumps !!

#9 djc242

djc242

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 03:10 AM

Not afraid to say I cried like a little girl when Han died. I just watched it again and liked it a lot more. The Rebel Fanfare playing when you see the "garbage" is one of the many musical high points. A lot of my friends played in the orchestra on the soundtrack so I'm very jealous they were a part of it all.

It was a bit like a re-tread of A New Hope for sure. Jakku might just as well have been Tatooine. Kylo is basically Anakin minus some force points. The question is will he turn to the light eventually? I'm also hoping Rae is not someone's long lost daughter.

The three main new characters are great and cast so spot on.

Lord Gollum was still a weak point for me this time around.

#10 Prometheus

Prometheus

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 05:34 AM

I cried when Han died also.... It was a very tragic ending for the rogue Hero.

In my opinion Kylo Ren destroyed Ben Solo the moment he killed his father. There is NO coming back from such a hideous act.

#11 robster

robster

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 06:02 AM

I hear others talking about the similarities between IV and VII,saying it's a straight remake,soft reboot,uninspired,and so on. Someone posted a synopsis of IV changing out the names for characters in this movie,that was actually kinda funny as it was basically the same,lol! Like someone did for Avatar with Pocahontas,lol.

Even though Han is dead there's still the Han solo movie....lol.....,with a young Han though.

J-R!

#12 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 06:03 AM

There is some speculation that Rey is a Jedi that was being trained by Luke, and left on Jakku to protect her after Kylo killed all the other Jedi. It would explain her quick uptake of the force.

I was of course upset by Hans death, but the moment they were both in the same room I saw it coming.

7 was definitely a retread of 4, but I enjoyed it. I'll be seeing it again tomorrow and will be posting my thoughts then.

#13 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 03:38 PM

Many stories (and history) repeats itself. Calling this movie a soft reboot, retread or uninspired is insulting to the movie. I saw it as introducing a classic tale to a new audience. They did an excellent job at that. For me I don't see the need in sitting there and comparing it to the rest or trying to pick out the similarities. That just starts taking away from the experience.
I also got teary eyed when Han died but I also saw it coming. All of the scenes with the falcon were great. It was like seeing an old friend again. I agree with Prometheus. I don't see Ben coming back from killing his father. Up to that point he could have come back but once he ignited that saber he crossed the point of no return. The cinematography was absolutely beautiful and JohnWilliams score was the best he has been in years.

#14 djc242

djc242

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 03:47 PM

There is some speculation that Rey is a Jedi that was being trained by Luke, and left on Jakku to protect her after Kylo killed all the other Jedi. It would explain her quick uptake of the force.

I thought that also.

Something I didn't understand about the super weapon: wouldn't it only be able to fire once since it "drained" all the energy from the star?

#15 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 04:33 PM

JohnWilliams score was the best he has been in years.

I disagree here, his score for the prequels and original trilogy were far more memorable than what was in The Force Awakens. For me there wasn't any song that really stands out like there were in the others, and there were a lot of OT themes. Hopefully 8 and 9 are better. I'll be seeing again tomorrow so i'll pay more attention to the music, maybe my opinion will change. 

I thought that also.

Something I didn't understand about the super weapon: wouldn't it only be able to fire once since it "drained" all the energy from the star?

It fired (almost) twice in the movie, maybe it can move? I don't know how, but it's the only thing that makes any sense. 

That OR since it fires its super death star beam through Hyperspace (didn't they say that?), it can transfer energy through hyperspace too? 

#16 Prometheus

Prometheus

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 02:06 AM

I was thinking it somehow sends the beam through hyperspace also.

#17 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 04:03 PM

JJ shows that Sci-Fantasy is where he shines. Trying to figure out how his weapon of mass destruction could be at all plausible is a waste of time, because its just silly, but it doesn't matter that its no more plausible than light sabers. This is def a fun Sci-Fantasy movie, though it really fails to tell a new story, or show us much of anything new, its coherent and decently acted, and well paced.

Speaking of light sabers... I noticed they decided to make the effects look more ragged... more fire-like, especially for Kylo Ren's saber. I kinda liked the "Clean" edges of sabers depicted previously.

Other thoughts that I pondered...

* The force sure thinks something special about people on desert planets! Anikin and Luke from Tatooine and now Rey from Jakku!

* Maybe its just me, but I kept think all those storm troopers looked like they had big butts... dunno they just looked large, maybe its because they are real people and not CGI'd?

* Kylo has the ability to suspend light beams, extract info directly from people, telekinetic force, and lets himself get beat by a "newbie" to the force! Ah JJ you wrote yourself into a corner there didn't you! No worries...  fantasy can get out of any corner!

* The size of C3P0 and R2D2 seemed off as well to me... especially when next to BB? I think at this point I'm done with both of them. I liked BB, as a droid it was well executed, and I see no need to continue with the now witless banter of CP30 or beeps of R2D2. Kylo can take a jagged light saber to them anytime now as far as I'm concerned.

* The primitive firing solution graphics on the Falcon was a nice touch and kept with its age.

* Everyone in the First order sure seems young. Apparently no one on that side survived to ripe older ages? I appreciated charters like Wilhuff Tarkin. But I guess we had plenty of them on the resistance side.

* Its a good thing those beasties that Han was hunting and Rey let go filled up on other baddies cause otherwise they would have eaten Fin right away! like they did with everyone else... but they must have been full and were saving him for later?!

* not sure why they are the "Resistance"? I guess its sort of implied that the first order replaced the empire... but if the republic was dissolved and the empire was controlled by the emperor through regional governors and their fear of the death star... once the emperor was deposed one would think that the regions would have split off sort of like city states, and new minor empires or republics would form and thus the conflict would be more regional hegemonistic in nature? It would have been interesting to get a bit more backstory here, but oh well. 

#18 Qcjoe

Qcjoe

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 674 posts
  • Interests:scifi,comics,actionfigures,baseball,football

Posted 20 December 2015 - 05:12 PM

Ive seen it twice now.   I loved it even more.  I read that during the force dream that Obi wan and Yoda spoke but I never picked it up.

#19 djc242

djc242

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 05:14 PM

Ive seen it twice now.   I loved it even more.  I read that during the force dream that Obi wan and Yoda spoke but I never picked it up.

I heard Yoda but not Obi...maybe on my third viewing I'll catch it

#20 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 06:28 PM

I heard Yoda but not Obi...maybe on my third viewing I'll catch it

At the very end Ewan McGregor says these are your first steps. Was awesome to hear it this time. 

Now onto my opinion since I've seen it twice, and think I've grasped most things. 

My first conclusion is that 3D movies suck, I saw my first 3D movie with TFA on Thursday, and saw it normally today. It was MUCH better in a normal format. 

-The new death star served very little purpose to the overall story, it was literally just there to be destroyed. Sure it "destroyed" the Republic, but not a single person in the movie even seemed to care that that had happened. Really hoping the next movie shows fallout from that, otherwise it was just pointless. They could have just made Starkiller base some key military installation, not some stupid super weapon again. The story really wouldn't have changed that much. 

-People saying that it makes no sense for Finn and Rey to be able to stand up to Kylo Ren at the end. Finn wasn't even remotely holding his own against Kylo. It was clear that he was being toyed with, and once he got a lucky hit in, Ren ended it pretty quickly. Rey was on the defensive, and actually running away from Kylo up until she was "up against a wall," she then trusted in the force completely and turned the tables on him. 

-People don't seem to understand that Kylo Ren isn't on the same level as Vader was when it comes to skills with a lightsaber. He is clearly strong with the force, and has a pretty good grasp on using it, but is probably only at the same level as Luke was in Empire when it comes to saber skills. Remember, Luke himself didn't seem all that skilled with a Lightsaber, even in Return of the Jedi. 

-Rey picking up on the Force quickly compared to Luke isn't all that hard to believe for me. It's clear that she's heard/read stories of the Jedi, and what they could do, but didn't actually believe they were real. Once she found out they were, and that she was force sensitive, she started trying to do what she had heard about. "But she still didn't have training!" True, but you have to remember something that Yoda told Luke on Dagobah. Luke failed to lift the X-Wing because he didn't believe it could be done, he thought it was impossible. Rey believed it, she had seen the force in action and knew it was real, that's why she was more successful. 

Speaking of light sabers... I noticed they decided to make the effects look more ragged... more fire-like, especially for Kylo Ren's saber. I kinda liked the "Clean" edges of sabers depicted previously.

Kylo has a firery looking lightsaber because he didn't really know how to build them, his crystal in unstable. It's also why he has cross guards, they're exhaust ports. 

* not sure why they are the "Resistance"? I guess its sort of implied that the first order replaced the empire... but if the republic was dissolved and the empire was controlled by the emperor through regional governors and their fear of the death star... once the emperor was deposed one would think that the regions would have split off sort of like city states, and new minor empires or republics would form and thus the conflict would be more regional hegemonistic in nature? It would have been interesting to get a bit more backstory here, but oh well. 

The Resistance is the group actually fighting against the First Order. The new Republic isn't in actual conflict with them, and is supporting the Resistance. The General Hux seemed to imply that the Republic weren't openly supporting them, but were doing it in secret.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users