• Please log in to reply
227 replies to this topic

#161 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 06:28 PM

I dunno... I kinda liked Voyager... heck the 2-parter "Year of Hell" Janeway wouldn't abandon or give up on her ship... and there were other episodes that I thought endeared one to that ship... but maybe thats just me.

#162 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 06:59 PM

Voyager definitely treated the ship as a character. I dont know how many times the crew referred to her as their home, or showed some kind of endearment to her.

Id say the same with Enterprise, but maybe not to the same extent.

Archer for sure had a lot of affection for that ship.

#163 Damon1984

Damon1984

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 03:09 AM

Voyager definitely treated the ship as a character. I dont know how many times the crew referred to her as their home, or showed some kind of endearment to her.

Hm. I might be wrong here. I only remember the Year of Hell moment.

Enterprise however... I just didn't see much noteworthy affection for the ship (from the Characters). Archer was driven to prove that his fathers engine worked. He did that in the pilot. After that it was "the ship is yours, T'pol". And he was driven to prove that humanity was ready for deep space explorations. But the ship itself? It seemed more like a means to an end for him.

Now that I think about it... the E-D did not get that much affection as well. Picard once lovingly tapped the tactical station, when no one was on the bridge, but I think his heart was more attached to the Stargazer.

#164 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 03:29 AM

"Bliss" is another episode where due to Naomi and Seven's affinity to Voyager as their "Home" it saves the day. 

In Enterprise, Tucker had much affinity for the ship... but I think one of the great things about most Trek series is there is also great chemistry with the crews, so you can focus more on the people and charters than the ship... but many people consider the ship core to what Star Trek is about, so I think people can have it any way you like it!

#165 Damon1984

Damon1984

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 04:49 AM

Why not both? :) The characters are always the most important thing of course. I don't dispute that. But no one says the ship can't be treated like a character as well. Especially the enterprise. The name get's a bit tarnished and robbed of that "special thing" if you just plow threw the letters like they are potato chips. I mean, it's not a big deal, but In the end, it hurts the movies/scripts themselves a bit. For instance, the Giacchino-score suggests that the destruction of the Abrams-Prise is something to be sad about. Something emotional. But... I had no connection to the ship. I felt nothing, so the whole scene fell a bit flat. (but that may just be me and overall, I really liked beyond).

All I'm saying is... if the producers/writers want to keep on playing the old "we damage/destroy the ship again, that's always kewl"-game, they should try to make me care first. Otherwise it's just pew-pew and I've seen to much of that to be on the edge of my seat.

#166 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 05:49 AM

Exactly. there is no wrong answer!  ...and I agree,  in general I prefer compelling thought provoking sci-fi story... "Pew pew" is fun every now and then but your right there is plenty of that out there.

As a tangent, I watched Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom again the other day, which is the lowest rated of the franchise, and I was thinking while re-watching it is that it felt like just so many action scenes stitched together in such a fast past that you never really believed there was any chemistry in the main characters. In other words it was just a bunch of "pew pew pewing" :-) Also everyone screams way too much!

#167 MisterPL

MisterPL

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 08:54 AM

When you're boldly going where no man has gone before, you treat your vessel like it's your home because out there, in the cold, vast darkness of space, that's all you have.

That's the way these ships should be written; as home, or at the very least a tether to the homes left behind.

#168 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 08:34 AM

http://sciencefictio...rs-star-trek-4/

Looks like they're continuing to poach from The Walking Dead

#169 Sybeck1

Sybeck1

• Members
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 01:34 PM

'Star Trek 4' Now Uncertain as Chris Pine and Chris Hemsworth Drop Out: Report

https://www.google.c...ain-report.html

#170 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 02:49 PM

Apparently Trek just can't afford them anymore. Certainly they should negotiate a good wage, but this is defining difference between actors that defined the franchise and those hired to host work in it.

#171 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 06:57 PM

Apparently Trek just can't afford them anymore. Certainly they should negotiate a good wage, but this is defining difference between actors that defined the franchise and those hired to host work in it.

They had existing deals Paramount is trying to change,
and give them less.

#172 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 06:33 AM

Ditch Hemsworth, totally unnecessary and completely forgivable to use someone else for a role we only saw briefly before the actual movie began.

Better not ditch Pine though. Unless you write out Kirk. Which would be....acceptable!

#173 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 04:57 PM

Yeah, at this point Pine is pretty much their guy. I guess if they penned a bad deal its hard to blame pine for wanting to stick with it.

I've said it before... I like the idea of cutting down the cast size... but I think they need to keep Kirk, Spock & McCoy. In fact.. they could cut everyone else and just keep those three IMO.  

#174 djc242

djc242

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 05:54 PM

Or go for a cheaper Hemsworth? :)

#175 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 06:50 PM

Id have no issue with them recasting George Kirk. I love Hemsworth, but if hes too expensive Id sacrifice him to keep Pine in a heartbeat.

#176 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 07:02 AM

One more reason Trek should have stayed on TV.

#177 Damon1984

Damon1984

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 07:10 AM

Ditch Hemsworth, totally unnecessary and completely forgivable to use someone else for a role we only saw briefly before the actual movie began.

I'll do you one better: ditch the whole "Kirk meets his father"-Idea. And while they are at it; ditch everyone who had this idea too -.-

#178 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 01:38 PM

The film that has the first female director in the history of the franchise and it has to start off like this.

I'm with Damon1984. Not sure why the "My Two Kirks" concept is so compelling but it doesn't seem like the universe wants it to happen. Do over.

#179 VorlonKosh

VorlonKosh

The card is maxed out.

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 05:28 PM

hey just for the record, regarding the talk about the damage the enterprise gets in the jjverse vs primeverse,  the big difference is the jjverse enterprise weapons have 0 effectiveness (even though it is supposed to be more advanced than the primeverse vs the primeverse where it can actually fire at something and create some damage and defend itself.  

#180 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 02:23 AM

...the jjverse enterprise weapons have 0 effectiveness...  

so... just like Star Wars then??!!  :lol:  :P  :D

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users