6 replies to this topic

#1 skeletor

skeletor

The card is maxed out.

• Members
  • 272 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 09:38 PM

Hi all,
I just started collectiong the fine old 90s playmates line again, and I just puchashed some figures from the Sarek & Lwaxana troi line, from 1994.
I noticed that each figure comes packed with two cards. and I havent opened these up yet, but I looked from the side and the nausicaan I have also comes with a "Q" card behind his. And another figure comes with Dr Crusher. I was wondering if this was the norm for this wave to come packed with two cards?

#2 Commodore Kor'Tar

Commodore Kor'Tar

The Great Tribble Hunter

• Members
  • 2,415 posts
  • Interests:Playmates figures and ships (90s era), Art Asylum and DST figures and ships , Galoob figures and micro machines .

Posted 12 December 2009 - 09:48 PM

I noticed that happening a few times with the 90s era figures , never quite knew why they did that other than to advertise their other characters .

#3 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 12:05 PM

That isn't an advertising ploy, it is a pure accident. The cards sometimes get stuck to the one in front of it, and it just slipped by. It is a common mistake and can be found a lot.

#4 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 12:23 PM

I am sure it was an accident, but i am not sure it was that common. In the 90's i looked at tons of these figures in the stores and bought lots and lots of them, and i dont remember seing this more than once or twice in my rrecollection.

#5 zyzyx1701d

zyzyx1701d

Toys before the light bill.

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 01:16 PM

QUOTE (VulcanFanatic @ Dec 13 2009, 10:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am sure it was an accident, but i am not sure it was that common. In the 90's i looked at tons of these figures in the stores and bought lots and lots of them, and i dont remember seing this more than once or twice in my rrecollection.

The talk at the time was that this was Playmates getting rid of extra stock of the skybox cards. I believe that most if not all of the figures from that series (i.e. the same cardback) had cards from earlier, out-of-production figures behind them. If you check it out, all of the bonus cards are from the 1993 series, the previous year. There's really no plausible way it could have been an accident since the bonus cards were all for out-of-production figures.

Edit: Slight memory fail! Those figures are actually from early 1995, not 1994, so the bonus cards were technically were from 2 series ago, before Playmates switched from SKybox cards to the Space Caps.

#6 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 02:43 PM

Well I am not sure about the extra stock, but I do remeber hearing it was a pretty common thing.

#7 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 08:29 PM

And getting figures with the wrong card was common as well. I have a few dozen or so.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users