• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 16 July 2022 - 06:54 AM

I agree with Whilygig, the casting choice for Kirk was bad. Chris Pine from the start reminded me of Prime Kirk, and he only got better as the films went on. 

If Kirk shows up more in the future, I can't remember if he is or not, then his actor really needs to step it up. 

#22 MisterPL

MisterPL

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 20 July 2022 - 11:25 AM

Dude are you even reading what I'm telling you? 

I should be asking you the same question based on that response!  :lol: 

Kirk - Spock ≠ Kirk + Spock

#23 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 20 July 2022 - 11:34 AM

I agree with Whilygig, the casting choice for Kirk was bad. Chris Pine from the start reminded me of Prime Kirk, and he only got better as the films went on. 

If Kirk shows up more in the future, I can't remember if he is or not, then his actor really needs to step it up. 

It depends on which Kirk the actor is playing; the one without the benefit of Spock or with.

This Spock-less Kirk was SO reckless that he got his own ship destroyed, something he never let happen in the Prime timeline until he was forced to while trying to rescue his recently resurrected Vulcan friend.

Should they have cast a guy with a huskier build, more like Shatner's? Maybe. Should they ignore the impact Kirk and Spock's relationship had on each other? Absolutely not, especially given Spock's role in the timeline.

#24 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 25 July 2022 - 02:27 PM

Should they have cast a guy with a huskier build, more like Shatner's?

Ah-hah.  So you do understand my point.  You're just...choosing to pretend you don't.  Spock may have affected the speed and rashness with which Kirk makes decisions.  But that doesn't explain why he looks/sounds nothing at all whatsoever like Kirk.  My issue isn't with his behavior, it's with him being 100% completely unrecognizable as anyone who even minorly resembles Kirk apart from being Caucasian.

#25 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 26 July 2022 - 04:22 PM

:huh: 

No, not pretending at all. Actually I was trying to give you the benefit of the doubt. I forgot how shallow critics can be about new Star Trek. (I didn't notice you freaking out over Sam Kirk's appearance or Uhura's lack of a beehive.)

Yeah, Paul Wesley's eyes aren't brown, he's an inch too tall, and he's got a leaner build than Shatner (at 40!). I'm guessing his hair is real, too. What were they thinking when they cast this guy? 

And when will they ditch the crutch of Pike moaning about his destiny? Man, they milked that all season long. Can't wait for season 2 of "WAAAH! Something terrible is gonna happen to me and I know exactly when!"

#26 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 16 June 2023 - 11:47 AM

After watching the season 2 premiere of Strange New Worlds, I'm more convinced than ever that it's my Star Trek. While I'll continue to enjoy the other shows, I want this one to run forever. 

#27 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 18 June 2023 - 11:27 AM

It really is a solid show, can't wait to see more of it. 

Spoiler

#28 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 19 June 2023 - 09:36 AM

It really is a solid show, can't wait to see more of it. 

Spoiler

I'm part of a Star Trek modelers group on Facebook and someone said the same ship appeared upside down in spacedock. It looks pretty cool either way to me!

#29 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 25 July 2023 - 01:03 PM

So my current feelings are that Season 2 has kinda pushed the envelope a little too far for me.  While I enjoyed watching the crossover episode, if I ask myself "is this good Star Trek" the answer is no.  Other episodes this season have bordered on, or crossed over into, "boring/pointless" territory.  And while I am a huge fan of musical theater, I am grimacing imagining the amateur hour (both writing and performing) we are in for with Subspace Rhapsody.

At the end of the day I still appreciate the show as the most Star Trekky thing in production right now, even moreso than Picard S3.  However, I wish they would cool their jets a little bit and focus on telling good stories you don't have to be a major Boimler to get anything out of.  I felt S1 did a better job of that than I've seen out of S2.

#30 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 28 July 2023 - 12:54 PM

It's my understanding that Season 2 was produced before any feedback was garnered from Season 1. It definitely feels more experimental.

Despite being a fan of Lower Decks, I did not enjoy the crossover the first time I watched it. After a second viewing with my daughter, I liked it more for some reason. It definitely felt like Lower Decks was leeching into Strange New Worlds more than the other way around, which I would have preferred. 

"Under the Cloak of War" was jarring and will probably feel even more so after being sandwiched between "Those Old Scientists" and "Rhapsody in Subspace."

I like a good musical and while I'm generally not a fan of this type of genre-bending tonal shift, if writers can come up with a way for it to make sense and be ignored by the end of the episode, I'm okay with it. My daughter is not looking forward to it.

#31 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 03 August 2023 - 04:47 PM

Yeah, "Under The Cloak Of War" was an incredibly bitter pill after "Those Old Scientists", which I out-and-out loved. I unreservedly love Lower Decks warts and all, and I reservedly enjoy SNW, so for SNW to get injected with a bit of LDS pep in its step was wonderful, but it was a really well written episode too. Boimler having the impact he did on Chapel was very intelligent, and he and Mariner having the perspective to recontextualise Pike's priorities was nice. I didn't like the "You could just not-look" scene - too silly even for LDS.

"Under The Cloak Of War" was, by comparison, a dreary, tone-deaf mess. The flashbacks were cheaply acheived (a flat set with some props and a virtual environment on the holodeck wall) and poorly developed. They evoked DS9's ground-war episodes without any of the immersion or sense of mission or urgency. The denoument of the episode was quick, brutal, and insanely out of character for the show and the people involved. I now hate two characters I quite liked.

#32 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 08 August 2023 - 09:48 AM

I managed to enjoy both of those episodes though going from one to the next was definitely jarring. "Those Old Scientists" felt much more like a live-action episode of Lower Decks. Not enough of SNW's tone leeched into the story for me. "Under the Cloak of War" was revealing. I'd been waiting to learn more about what had happened. Seeing Dak'Rah trigger M'Benga's PTSD was curious until the context was provided. The revelation of the Butcher of J'Gal was a bit shocking.

"Subspace Rhapsody" was better than I'd expected. There was a lot to unpack. Happy that Carol got a mention and glad to see Christine will be getting that fellowship with Dr. Korby. (I wonder how that will go. :D ) 

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users